Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

To all who can help,

Does anyone know why when I launch a site from a shortcut on the desktop, I get error on page? On clicking the error the report varies from

cookie is null or not an object to Access Denied.

When I open IExplorer (6.0) and type the address in the bar then login there is no error at all....its just the shortcut...

My wife frequently uses this shortcut for her work and is bending my ears over this error since the page will not function on loading with the error. I'm running WinXP Home with 1gb memory by the way...I don't beleive my system set up will affect internet browser behaviour in this case.

All help and ideas are much appreciated..thank you so much,

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

Have you had other browsers installed on the system in the past? If so, this may have confused Windows. A possible solution is to uninstall and then reinstall IE6.

I don't know if it's still possible to use this method (as it may force you to upgrade to IE7 - but it may be possible to make it work (it'll require a copy of SP2).

Here's the steps:
1) uninstall SP2
2) Reinstall SP2
3) visit Windows Update for all the missing updates (make sure that you select not to download IE7).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

I am a little confused about your post. Are you having a problem with ONE shortcut or ALL shortcuts?
If it is just ONE, have you tried deleting the bad shortcut and making a new one?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

Another idea or two:

1) Try recreating the shortcut using the "New Shortcut" option on the context menu (right click on the Desktop) and manually enter the URL

2) Try recreating the shortcut using the drag and drop method. Adjust the browser window so that the desktop is partly visible. Left click and hold on the little icon on the left side of the address (the http:... is the address) - then drag it to the desktop.

Do the shortcuts now work?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users