Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Webhancer Attach Itself To Other Pc's On My Network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Opus2

Opus2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new to Bleeping Computer and to forums so please bare with me. My question involves Webhancer (spyware) and our home network. If I download a program that has Webhancer attached to it, could that computer spread Webhancer to other PC's on our home network?
I recently downloaded a program that had Webhancer bundled with it. When I discovered what I had done, I removed the program and (as for as I could tell through file searches) successfully removed webhancer. Through some research, and from what someone explained in a BC forum ["WebHancer modifies the Windows Sockets configuration, binding itself to Winsock so that all packets are passed through WebHancer"]. However, does Webhancer stay contained to that one computer or will the packets from all of the PC's on our home network pass through Webhancer? My assumption is that it would stay on that PC and only monitor traffic from the infected PC but I am not that computer savvy to understand packets, sockets, nor advanced networking.
I want to download the program again (I know... :thumbsup: ) on a different computer that is very seldom used by anyone in our family but not at the risk of having Webhancer (which in my opinion is nasty spyware) infect the rest of the computers in our home.
Our home network is run off of a cable modem and all pc's have Norton Internet Security installed. The operating systems are a combination of Windows XP Pro, Home, and Media. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

Webhancer does not have viral or wom technology. So you do not have to worry about it spreading to other computers on your network.

What program are you downloading that has webhancer attached?

#3 Opus2

Opus2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

Grinler, thanks very much for your reply. Sorry it took a few days to reply, I didn't know you responded. Either my email notification of a reply wasn't set properly or I didn't have it turned on but I think I have it setup now. So based on your reply, I should be safe from the Webhancer "badware" spreading itself to another pc on my network. The program I tried and seemed to like is a shareware program called Neosoundfx. There is no mention of Webhancer being bundled with it but trust me, it is. It's a pretty cool little audio editor and recorder. However, I am exploring some other options. The "free" part may not be worth the "badware" part. Plus, I'm not sure if that old pc I'm thinking of installing it on would even handle a memory intensive program like this. But, this webhancer question has been on my mind for quite some time and I wasn't sure where to go for an answer so thank you for that. I'm really glad I stumbled upon bleeping computer. It's a great resource!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:26 AM

May I suggest you check out these apps instead:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
http://www.mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
http://winlame.sourceforge.net/

They may provide the tools you need without the risk of malware. They are free as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users