Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

Since everyone is talking about Core 2 Duo this and Core 2 Duo that, I figured it would be fair to give an update on what AMD's up to.

There is even a new nice roadmap for the interested.

First thing we see is the Windsor FX core for AMD's crazy 4x4 platform, which is a dual processor system with two socket 1207s. We will see FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74, which will be 2.6GHz-3.0GHz. The 4x4 motherboard will supposedly run on an AMD version of nVIDIA's nForce 680i SLI (nForce 680a SLI?) chipset. A package of two FX-70 processors and a 4x4 motherboard will start at $1000. Note should also be taken that only Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate supports multiple processors.

Next we see Brisbane which will start of AMD's move to 65nm which means higher clock speeds or lower power consumption. There is talk about desktop Athlon 64 X2 Energy Efficient processors at 35W. This will hopefully also let us see the Athlon 64 X2 5400+, 5600+ and even the rumored 6000+. Right on the heels of Brisbane is Lima which is the single-core 65nm product, but here I doubt we will see anything higher than the Athlon 64 4000+. Of note is that AMD's gotten rid of the 2x1MB L2 cache cores so all 65nm cores are either 2x512KB or 512KB. Sometime next year the Semprons will also move to 65nm with the Sparta core.

Next comes what we all really are waiting for: K8L, AMD's next generation architecture, the response to Intel's Core 2 Duo. But we'll have to wait until Q3'07. It seems AMD has delayed socket AM3 with DDR3 support in favor for a socket AM2+, which will be a DDR2 socket with HyperTransport 3.0. Looks like AMD's is ditching single-core's for anything but Semprons. (Side note: Early next year Intel is supposed to release Conroe-L, which is a single core version of Conroe.)

In other news AMD's acquisition of ATI is complete. www.ati.com looks different now. :thumbsup:

AMD has renamed the Crossfire Xpress 3200 and 1600 chipsets to AMD 580X Crossfire and 480X.

AMD has also announced a dedicated stream processor for financial analysis and life science.

AMD has also announced the Fusion program which is supposed to integrate the GPU into the CPU.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 16 November 2006 - 02:17 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the update, I don't really like calling ATi cards and anything realeased from them AMD. Like when they realeased "AMD Catalyst 6.10". But they bought them, and it's their right.

I hope AMD's new CPU's do good, I always liked AMD.

Thanks for the update, didn't know about AMD's roadmap.

(The "roadmap" link you have doesn't work)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

Could be they aren't allowing me to link directly to the link. DailyTech Article with Roadmap.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users