Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Backup My Program Files (properly)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

Can i just copy and paste my program files folder onto an external hard drive and then back onto a fresh install? Will they work or do i need the registry entries too?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

You cannot back up installed programs. Only data. If you reinstall Windows, then you will need the original disks or downloads for reinstalling the actual programs. There are far too many registry entries for any particular program for you to be able to find and save them all.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

You need the .exe file for each application. I always save any downloaded applications to a special folder, as opposed to simply "running" them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users