Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pointing Sfc.exe To A Folder?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kieranmullen

kieranmullen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

OK I have a winxpsp2 machine. It tells me on boo that windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt.

So I boot of the install cd (retail full owned license) and tried to repair but it did not show up as installed. (which is wierd) so I installed winxp in a secondary folder windows2

Now it is up and running on a new install, I ran diskcheck, but I think that this problem might be solved by sfc.exe right? If so how can I point it to the orignal install folder instead of the current running?

Thanks!

KieranMullen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

Can you boot to the first installation and then run sfc /scannow? It seems you should get a choice of which instance of Windows you want to boot to when you boot up. You should get a booting screen asking you which instance you want, and if you make no choice then one of the two will be chosen for you, or defaulted to.

Of course, after going through all of these steps, why not just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows again?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:09 AM

I've recently done a bit of research on the System File Checker tool - and it's not real easy to work with.

I've tried to monitor it's registry accesses - and had over 500 registry entries listed in a few seconds - none of which had any obvious link to a specific file or hard disk location.

But, here's what I found (full thread here: http://help.lockergnome.com/general/RegEdi...opict50202.html ):

...Anyways, here's some of the keys involved in running SFC.EXE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Make sure to copy i386 to C:\ then edit SourcePath key toC:\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath

Make sure to copy i386 to C:\ and the edit SourcePath key to C:\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

Make sure to copy i386 to C:\ and the edit SourcePath key to C:\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

To enable/disable the progress bar, add a new DWord: SFCShowProgress The values are: 0=disabled, 1=enabled

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath

Use this to point to the Service Pack Files: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles (if this is where they're located on your system)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kieranmullen

kieranmullen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

Hi Thats my point I cant point up in that one, only the new one I Have created.

Yeah sure reinstall windows. Its ok if you dont have alot of programs installed, but I do have alot of programs installed.

It should not need to be reinstalled.

Can you boot to the first installation and then run sfc /scannow? It seems you should get a choice of which instance of Windows you want to boot to when you boot up. You should get a booting screen asking you which instance you want, and if you make no choice then one of the two will be chosen for you, or defaulted to.

Of course, after going through all of these steps, why not just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows again?

#5 kieranmullen

kieranmullen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

So which one of these would work withouth screwing up the system?

After checking the keys out the only one that points to my seonc install directory is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

SystemRoot
& PathName Keys

Give it a go?
Thanks

KM

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

It may work - but I haven't tried it or seen it tried (and this is an issue that I'm currently working with).

FYI - a repair installation of XP won't affect your programs or your data. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 kieranmullen

kieranmullen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

Thank you. You are the second one to reccomend a repair install but I already mentioned in my first post that I did that and it did not recognize the installation to repair.

I went ahead and reformatted and reinstalled last night. I was able to save everything first.

KM

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

If it couldn't find an installation to repair, then most likely your Windows directory was missing or corrupted. If that's the case, then SFC.EXE wouldn't have helped anyway since it uses the dllcache folder for it's information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users