Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With New Build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

Hi all,

I have one last problem with my new build, this is with my Biostar TForce 6100 939 motheboard. The trouble is that I can't turn the computer on with the power button on the front of the case, I have to use the on/off switch on the motherboard. When the computer starts up I get the TForce advertisement and then the BIOS page showing the IDE order and content, and at the bottom of the page are four options of which only two are functional. Those are F1 to continue and DEL to enter setup. If I choose F1 the computer continues to starts up and runs normally from there, it will shut down properly after that as well. I also can't reboot from the button on the front of the case, and none of the LEDs are on, it's as if the header has been disabled. Any ideas?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:25 AM

I'm not sure, but it sounds like maybe the wiring for the on-off button is not connected right. Did you look in your mobo manual and verify they are on the correct prongs(?) or whatever you call them? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:47 AM

I'm not sure, but it sounds like maybe the wiring for the on-off button is not connected right. Did you look in your mobo manual and verify they are on the correct prongs(?) or whatever you call them? :thumbsup:

What you are referring to is the header, and it's color coded which makes it pretty easy to recognize the proper pin locations, and the manual actually managed to present this part clearly enought that it was simple to follow. And yes I did double check that, and the jumpers, cleared the CMOS, and checked everything in the BIOS that I could think of.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

You have them the right way around?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for giving me the right words... I had a brain fart, I get a lot of them, and couldn't think of the right names. Anyway, after looking at your mobo manual, it seems pretty straight forward. I and my buddies, we do puters for fun not for a living, have never heard of this problem before. Maybe you got hold of a faulty board? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for giving me the right words... I had a brain fart, I get a lot of them, and couldn't think of the right names. Anyway, after looking at your mobo manual, it seems pretty straight forward. I and my buddies, we do puters for fun not for a living, have never heard of this problem before. Maybe you got hold of a faulty board? :thumbsup:

I finally got curious enough to take the front panel off of my case, and lo and behold the guy that built the first machine in this case had made a plug in harness for the header connections, and it had come unplugged. That solved that problem.

The other problem regarding having to press F1 to open was solved by a fellow member on another web site. I had clear the CMOS and had thought that the default BIOS setting would be what I needed...wrong. There is a section titled "Halt on Errors", and the default setting was "All, except keyboard". I had tried changing it to "No Errors" with no luck, it turns out that "All Errors" is the correct setting.

The computer is up and running as it should, it is actually faster than I had hoped for, I can't wait to see what kind of difference it will make in backing up my DVDs.

One note in closing, I was extremely disappointed in the owner's manual, it was vague at best with what little it covered. They spent a great deal of print covering their overclocking instructions, I wish they had spent a little more time on the rest of the BIOS. The driver disc's copy of the manual is just a bad.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:40 AM

Glad to hear you figured it out, :thumbsup: I only looked at the board layout when I looked at the manual. So I didn't notice the overclocking stuff.
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users