Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Search Engine Should I Use?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Juggler

Juggler

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

I've become paranoid because of recent spyware reports on Google and such, what do you recommend?
Thx ahead...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

It's quite a pick out there. But if you want some assurance on your search engine needs, go get:
PeerGuardian 2
http://methlabs.org

Once you set it up, it'll default to a list of about 6 groups. There are actually 20 groups. You'll have to manually load/add those other groups (16 or so)... and from that point, you'll have no doubts about which search engine or web site you visit. It'll show you what you need to know.... and you decide from there.

[CAUTION] There are over 2 billion ip addresses on their blocked list. Get to know the program, and you'll better defend your online privacy and security.

#3 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

Thx for the reply, but thatsounds like quite a hassle. I just want to hear some recommendations for a secure, decent site. I'll check it out, but i'd appreciate any more input.

What do you use Walkman?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

I use Google.. and quite of few other search engines, that I believe will take Google down in due time. Just like Yahoo was the talk of the town, but now they're not.

Google is on a banned list, but it's only to protect people that want to secure their privacy a bit more. I'm not saying don't ever use them again, but you need to know how to use them.

If you have a Google search bar or such on your browser, you're still using them, because they're using you.

Also, if you're ever too busy to protect yourself online when solutions are presented to you, you stand no chance to complain later. If I were you, I'd made time to check out that link.... because if you're so scared of Google,,,, right now, I guarantee you right now, as you're reading this, there are plenty of connections actually accessing your computer, and you don't even know it.

But,,, you did ask which search engine should you use. The answer again is anyone you want. I'm not saying Google is bad, but they made the banned list... but,, if you want to still use them (I do),, I suggest you get protected. Other than that, I'd say, use any search engine you want because you won't be protected anyway, so it wouldn't matter what search engine people would tell you you should use because you'll be exposed anyway without any kind of ip blocking or HOST lists or such..

Edited by Walkman, 15 November 2006 - 01:15 AM.

#5 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

Thx again, that helped me understand a little more.....so how do you integrate ip blocking and such...don't you have have to specify EVERY address you visit to do that?
I'm speaking i terms of my idiots understanding of windows security options....

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:51 AM

Go and download the program... it's all self explanatory. It's FREE.

You don't have to tell it each and every address you go to, but it will have addresses that you're used to going to that is on it's blocked list.

To explain a blocked list and the groups behind many of them, it's like this:
An ip address or an ip range get's blocked based on numerous complaints into these different organizations that compile these lists. It's not just one single complaint, it's many complaints. And when they research that ip address, the whois info, and everything else at their disposal, they compile the lists when they verify the ip address and (or) the ip range that is considered bad. And with over 20 million + users of these protection tools, you'll want to be amongst them too, to protect yourself.

Once you have the PeerGuardian 2 installed and loaded, you'll start to see all the ip addresses trying to connect to your computer. And, I can help you alot more with it. But until then, it will seem to questionable. Go check it out, and then post back.

[Added] PeerGuardian 2 ISN'T a firewall, nor is it a substitute for a firewall. It simply blocks ip addresses that are registered as ip addresses that have been accused in facilitating in fraudulent activities. And it blocks you from connecting to them, and most importantly, it blocks them from connecting to you.

Edited by Walkman, 15 November 2006 - 02:01 AM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

I am not sure about the question being asked. Any search engine can, for example, lead to you to questionable sites, the avoidance of which is one set of problems. On the other hand, internet search engines often maintain use records (Google apparently keeps some kind of data about engine use forever and a day, while others retain such records for much less time,) that can be, under certain circumstances, a matter of public record.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

:thumbsup: Hi Juggler :

When I search on Google, I go to their website; would NOT put their "toolbar"
on my computer .
AND be aware of the info at :

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#google .

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

:thumbsup: Hi Juggler :

When I search on Google, I go to their website; would NOT put their "toolbar"
on my computer .
AND be aware of the info at :

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#google .

SpiritWind, that link you posted is deep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I haven't read it from top to bottom, but I saw some interesting information there that further protects me from the unknown tricks being exposed on people.

The same with you jgweed, you said a mouth full. Any web site can do you harm, and basically you just need to be prepared. Even if someone states "It'll happen anyway".... Oh Well, ... I'll take my chances on doing what I can to protect myself as best as possible.

There are many search engines that does have better results than Google. Those search engines just aren't mainstream. The ultimate of the search engines are not in the spotlight. I have a list of literally thousands of search engines (search engines, listing sites, and a few other categories, that involve searches) that rank very close to Google in "popularity check" software.

Trust me.. there are many search engines out there that just don't have the popularity of people searching/using them,,, but are wayyyyyy more effective in their searches. Because I own over 130 domains and web sites, I should know.

#10 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:42 AM

I appreciate all responses but I'm still quite skeptical about a few things. How do I know you're legit? You could just be another tracker trying to link me to more programs that lead to more spyware. I hate to be such a critic if indeed you're just an average joe like me trying to help another average joe, but several concerns come to mind:

1. Since I've joined bleepingcomputer, an advertisement icon appeared IN my first thread (namely STOPzilla.com). Why would that suddenly appear (especially on a forum entry) unless someone was attempting to advertise their product without my permission?...makes me suspect this site to be honest.

2. To Walkman: You recommended a site I should go to, to further research and download anti-spyware programs. But...why is the site called "methlabs.com"? What kind of legitimate company choose "methlabs" as their address?....This throws up a big red flag in my mind.

3. Thus far, I've decided to go with Dogpile.com as my search engine. From my understanding, dogpile just basically takes information from 4 major search engines and compiles them (as the name would imply). Two sub-questions:
a. Does the search information get transferred to the search engines it compiles it's information from?
b. Is Dogpile trustworthy?

....again I thank all that have responded and appreciate any further advice. Guess I owe you one. But I can only offer non-computer related advice. So I'll just tell you what my father once told me:
"Always shave with the grain, it won't leave red bumps around your adam's apple. And even though I'm not your real dad, I still have to love you because I want to marry your mother."

Hope that helps!

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:54 AM

Juggler,

Both Walkman's, and SpiritWind's links, are legitimate sites.
If they weren't, they would have been removed.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Juggler

Juggler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:59 AM

I just thought of one more question:

How many anti-spyware and anti-virus programs do you recommend? I've got one of each, but many say you should have two of each....is this true?

As repayment....another piece of advice from my father:

"Sometimes life throws you a wild pitch. You mind as well take the hit and get on first, cause you really suck at hitting."

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

Never use more than one Antivirus running in real time.
Two running in real time, will eventually cause conflicts, possibly rendering both inefective.

The same goes for Firewalls.

You can run as many Spyware/Malware apps, as you resources will handle.
I use:
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
AVG Anti-Spyware - Windows 2000 and XP, only.
aČ free

I run my Antivirus once a week, along with updated aČ free and AVG Anti-Spyware.
I run Ad-aware and Spybot daily, after an update.
I check for updates every day, on all of my programs.

Once a month I run 3 online scans, just as a precaution:
BitDefender
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:05 AM

I appreciate all responses but I'm still quite skeptical about a few things. How do I know you're legit? You could just be another tracker trying to link me to more programs that lead to more spyware. I hate to be such a critic if indeed you're just an average joe like me trying to help another average joe, but several concerns come to mind:

As far as the legitimacy of this site, I'll vouch for it, for one, I use the protection that I told you about, and if they weren't, I wouldn't be posting here right now. This dog doesn't hunt like that.

This site could be another web site tranking you and all of that. that's why, again, I told you about the protection available to you. if you consider using some of the helpful tools you're told about, and at least read up and (or) research them, you'll know for sure the real deal. I understand how you may feel, but if you're not willing to take the steps to further your understandings of the Internet and computers, you'll always have questions and doubts about it, and you'll trust no one.

Let me tell you what my late pastor said (GOD rest his soul): "A person that doesn't trust anyone is the same person that shouldn't be trusted"

We're here to help you,, so you can go out and help others. Don't reject the solid bonafide help offered here. It's worth every bit of your time,,, especially if you make time to post here. Be cautious. Be aware. Be vigilant, but most importantly, be open minded.

1. Since I've joined bleepingcomputer, an advertisement icon appeared IN my first thread (namely STOPzilla.com). Why would that suddenly appear (especially on a forum entry) unless someone was attempting to advertise their product without my permission?...makes me suspect this site to be honest.

I may be wrong, but I'm willing to put all my cookies on the fact that you use Internet Explorer. If you look at how long I've been a member here, I've never seen such a thing. Personally, I don't get popups or similar, and that's because I don't use Internet Explorer. You just personally proved to me that Internet Explorer is a security breach while surfing (if you're using IE). But 7 out of 10 people are. So I bet you're using it too. I don't. And you gave me another reason why I'm doing the right thing by not using it.

2. To Walkman: You recommended a site I should go to, to further research and download anti-spyware programs. But...why is the site called "methlabs.com"? What kind of legitimate company choose "methlabs" as their address?....This throws up a big red flag in my mind.

Yeah.. I know... Have you thought of meth as being short of methods or such? It just a name. If a name throws up a big red flag to you, and you haven't explored the sources, then I can say that you're one to judge a book by it's cover. I thought the same thing too.. "What legitimate company has a name like that?", but I went to the site, read it, and investigated it..... and it was ALL good. I bet you're missing out on alot of good protection and tools for your computer, because you're looking at the names of the sites, and you're judging them because of that. Well, that's your right to do so.

3. Thus far, I've decided to go with Dogpile.com as my search engine. From my understanding, dogpile just basically takes information from 4 major search engines and compiles them (as the name would imply). Two sub-questions:
a. Does the search information get transferred to the search engines it compiles it's information from?
b. Is Dogpile trustworthy?

This may sound harsh,, but whay should you believe what is being said to you?. I could tell you "yeah... use Dogpile" and you may object...... and speaking of that... just putting myself in your shoes for a few... ok?...... What kind of legitimate company would call itself "Dogpile"? Isn't that strange for a legitimate company? I think so... My point is this.. the name doesn;t mean much. It's the content provided that's important.......... What's worse?..... Methlabs or Dogpile?...... Got you wondering now? It's all good.

....again I thank all that have responded and appreciate any further advice. Guess I owe you one. But I can only offer non-computer related advice. So I'll just tell you what my father once told me:
"Always shave with the grain, it won't leave red bumps around your adam's apple. And even though I'm not your real dad, I still have to love you because I want to marry your mother."

It's always a pleasure to try to help someone out and help them make informative decisions about their computer, and their computer needs. The staff and members here at Bleeping Computer are professionals of professionals, that have taken their free and valuable time to make this site available to people like you and I, so we can come and get sheltered, and protected from the harshness of the computer era. Please.... by all means... read the posts here,, and take notes,, there is much here for you to learn,,, and besides that, you can always take the information from here and have it verified. It's totally up to you.

Let me leave you with another great statement from my father,, (Although I'm not your father): "A closed mouth will never be fed"

If you get another popup or whatever that you say is coming from here, you need to take a screen shot of it, and PM it to the Admin here.

If you're using Internet Explorer.... STOP USING IT NOW!!!

Hope that helps!

#15 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Sorry to pop up in the middle of this conversation, but Im using IE6. Walkman, why u say "If you're using Internet Explorer.... STOP USING IT NOW!!!" ?? May I know the risk? I heard there are other altenative to IE such as Mozilla / firefox and I've downloaded it. Just didnt install it yet cos I dunno how to reset all my internet settings once I've installed Firefox. Or do I need to do the reset....? Btw, which one is better and user friendly, Mozilla or Firefox?

Thanks

Edited by Verons88, 16 November 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Veronica Yeoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users