Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Alright so i have a Compaq Presario 2100US that i had a 20G HD in and basically the power jack went bad on it so it kinda sat for a couple months. Now at this new job i got they gave me some older lappy's that they didn't want anymore, some thinkpad a30s and a couple compaq n610c evo's. Anyways basically whenever i install that hard drive from the presario on one of the evo machines it gives me this error saying

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

Now it gives me that error whenever i put it my evo or thinkpad, now whenever i install it into a Acer laptop that i have, it starts to boot up as if windows had been shutdown inproperly, you know give you option for

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Config
Start Normally

Well, i go to any one of those and it starts to boot then i get the bluescreen, with command prompt it gets to

mup.sys

then it goes to blue screen, and i get

Problem detected windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFAFE4640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

So basically i have no idea what to do from here. I have some really important data on this hard drive that i need to get; however, being stupid i never backed it up...well never did a recent backup, so i'm missing some important files that i need off here. Basically i was wondering if anybody might know why im getting this error, what i could possibly due to fix it, any suggestions on how to get data off it or to fix the hard drive. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks a ton

- Myles

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want. ~tg

Edited by tripflex, 14 November 2006 - 11:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hard drives taken from one computer and put into another will confuss the hell out of it, it's used to seeing the old chip set. You may have damaged the registry.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

Everything may still be good, but if the other hd doesn't have any interest to you, wipe it out... and it will require you to hook it up as a SLAVE. Just delete everything off of it, then repartition it, then reformat it,, then install the OS. That should do it.

#4 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

Yeah but the thing is, these is only one place to install a hard drive into, so how would i put two laptop hard drives on one laptop? That's why im going to try and boot to a floppy or something and see if i can still read off the hard drive. Does anybody know how i could actually hook a laptop hard drive up to a desktop? Or how i could install two hard drives on one laptop?

Thanks
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Get a USB hard drive enclosure for a laptop hard drive (usually 2.5") and use that as the second drive. FYI - I did just find a Toshiba Quosimo with 2 hard drives in it the other day.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users