Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Project.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfskin75

Wolfskin75

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

I undertook a project as of late. My friend has a computer that I got for free. It's a dell mini-tower pc with a good skeleton... but the part have been very abused. ( part of a workstation re-location program i do believe. ) No problem< i thought just let's replace them all. ( thus my project. ) First question. on the dvd burner... can i install a normal size dvd burner into it? or do I have to find a special type. ... i know I could take it out and see... but I am trying to avoid that. So.. does anyone already know that answer? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Unless something has changed, you can take the dvd drive out of a full tower and put it in a mini tower. I have a mini tower.

You should have no problems putting a dvd drive in there, regardless of the computer it came from. Even a laptop dvd drive will fit and work( you will have spaces all around though).

Edited by Walkman, 14 November 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#3 Wolfskin75

Wolfskin75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

Awsome... much thanks... and super cool av.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

Please be aware that Dell uses a lot of proprietary parts - so not all computer advice will apply to them. General swapping of removable components should be easy.

I mention this because I tried to upgrade the memory on a Dell a couple of days ago and found that it had 256 mB of ECC memory in it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

usasma mentioned that Dell is proprietary in nature, this is especially true of their PSUs. Even if you could find an off the shelf PSU that will physically fit in there the pin configuration is a non-ATX configuration.

usasma, what's with your RAM being ECC, that's typically found in servers and is considered too slow for PCs.

Edited by dc3, 17 November 2006 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

I just bought a PSU from PC Power and Cooling (an excellent brand). They also manufacture a power supply for Dell's (their products are a bit pricey).

The Dell was one that we took in for repair (to upgrade the memory). And we discovered it when we added 512 mB of non-ECC RAM - and the BIOS told us that we couldn't mix it! Not only is ECC too slow, but it's also more expensive!

I can't be sure that this was OEM from Dell - but the owner stated that no one had messed with the insides of the PC since he bought it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Wolfskin75

Wolfskin75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

:thumbsup: I think ... your are right... I am going to have to take it out and show the guy ... it is super slim and it makes alll kinds of crzy noise.... ( can't have that... can we....????)

I found last night that it's 168 pin ram. and the system will only hold a gig of it. :flowers: which i am sure will get me this kind of reaction when you read this...

:trumpet:

also ran into another problem. see post "thing one and thing 2 "

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Don't worry about the RAM - although it does date the system (says it's fairly old). 1 gB would be plenty even so.

What's with the noise? Could it be a fan that's scraping on something? Open up the case and CAREFULLY plug it back in. DON'T TOUCH anything inside!!!

Have a listen to see if you can locate where the noise is coming from.

Also, the smaller PC's can easily get overheating problems if they're not carefully constructed. Make sure that all the airflow channels are clear and unobstructed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users