Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theyipper

theyipper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

I had a malware/adware infection of endless pop-ups from "Symantec". Couldn't get computer to shut down so I just unplugged it. Now all I get is a flashing green light by the start-up buttom when computer is plugged in. t won't power up at all. Any suggestions? (Yes - I did try a new power cord).

ThankS!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

That's odd.. by it not powering back up. Either you did something terribly wrong to the computer and it's upset with you, or you may have stumbled upon a different problem... needless to say,, you made your problem worse.

The only thing I can suggest for starters is to hit the power button (off and on) until it decides to boot up. That has happened to me on a few occasions (not the unplugging of the power and it won't boot), but after powering down, it just hung there, until I hit the power button a few times, and it worked.

But,,,,, I'm thinking you altered your hard drive by doing that.

Here is your best bet.

Disconnect your hard drive, then plug it back in and then power it up. But try the power on and off technique 1st.

#3 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Is your cpu fan spinning when you attempt to power up? Do you receive any beeps when you attempt to boot? Also, list the specs of your computer.

#4 theyipper

theyipper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:09 PM

Its a Compaq Presario 6000 desktop. No fans will run, no beeper4s will beep - no power at all. Onlined Compaq support who said its most likely the power supply gone bad. They are overnight shipping one so I'll see how that goes. The wierdest thing was the blinking green light that kept rapidly flashing by the power button - and on the back of the unit. The back even kept flashing for about 30 seconds or so after the power cord was disconnected!
Hopefully just the power supply part.

Thanks for the input!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users