Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi All.....I would like to get an external HD primarily for music and photo's and other space wasters off my computer, what should I look for (apart from size)?. One of the main reasons I want it is to mess around with photoshop, its such a huge program and then the saved photos on top (for my little machine anyway) but have been told not to put programs on an external, do you believe this to be correct? Do I have any other options besides outlaying for a bigger better computer?

(Moderator edit: added topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 16 November 2006 - 08:20 PM.

"I can't change time but time may change me"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, really programs need to stay on the local drive (C:\). Additionally, larger files should be worked on (manipulated) on the local system, and then later stored on the external. We use external harddrives at work and have found that data and the hard drives them selves go bad quicker if data is manipulated whilst on it.

Basic requirement (other than size) is that it is USB2.0 and not just USB. USB 2 is faster. If possible (depending on the available connections on you PC) go for FireWire 400/800 - it is faster again.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

I prefer all of my programs to be on a separate drive - but cashflow prevents me from having a dedicated drive for this. My reasoning is that while Windows is doing Windows stuff on my primary drive, the system can access the program data on the other drive.

The downside is that it's a real PITA to point every installer at the other drive - so it's easier to let it install on the main hard drive.

I do keep another drive just for my data and it seems to help with system speed a bit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

Additional to that usasma, that drive is an internal one right? As opposed to having your programs on a drive connected by firwire or usb 2?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

Yes, internal drives are generally faster than the USB one's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users