Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla's Lightning to strike Outlook?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:47 AM

The Mozilla Foundation is hatching yet another software project to challenge a key Microsoft title. The new project, code-named Lightning, aims to integrate Mozilla's calendar application, Sunbird, with its recently released Thunderbird e-mail application. That integration is aimed right at the heart of Microsoft's widely used Outlook software.Published: December 22, 2004, 5:32 PM PST By Paul Festa Staff Writer, CNET News.com After years of delays and miscues, Mozilla has made some market inroads this year with its Firefox Web browser. Web surfers have downloaded more than 12 million copies of the software since its version 1.0 launch last month, nudging Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer browser below the 90 percent market share mark for the first time in years, according to one survey. Whether Thunderbird, released this month, can have a similar impact on the Outlook juggernaut depends in large part on how quickly Mozilla can match some of the calendar features Outlook ties into the e-mail application. Mozilla today released the first Sunbird 0.2 release candidate for Windows, Linux and the Macintosh.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

I hope they surround m$ and play hard ball!

Go mozilla!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:17 PM

Thunderbird still has a LONG way to go before it comes close to OE or Outlook; I suspect that within a year, it may be able to challenge MS in Email handling. I have been using the beta version of the calender for a few months, but there is work to be done there, too.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users