Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proper Way To Upgrade Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

Noticed a verion 11... Do you remove 10 through Add/Remove Programs & do a clean install? This seems like a dumb question to me, but because the thing is part of the OS I'm asking! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

There is no need to remove WMP 10. Version 11 installs right on top of it. I would suggest taking a few minutes & go through these two pages first:

Windows Media Player

Readme for WMP 11

BTW: Dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked. :thumbsup:

Edited by hillbillygreek, 14 November 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#3 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

Merci Beaucoup! :thumbsup:

Addendum: Are you familiar with URGE online store? It came with the update. They don't ask! I don't want a store. I question whether or not this is a security risk. Anyone know? How do I lose it? Can I sever ties or must I rollback?

Addendum: You can't opt out of URGE & the free radio is gone. Ah MS!

Edited by LaFemmeMichele, 15 November 2006 - 08:05 AM.

O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

Yes Urge does come with the update & you cannot opt out as you saw, but like any other online store your'e not obligated to buy from them unless you sign up to do so.

#5 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hi,
Do you suppose if I don't shop they might go away? Urge is not listed in Control>Add/Remove Programs, however it has a spot all its own in All Programs. It's also in a separate folder from WMP... C: Program Files/MTV/URGE.

I'm pretty sure the way to opt out was in the installation wizard. There was a choice of "custom install" & I went down the typical [recommended] path. WMP seems to be catering more to stores than to its player!

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:44 AM

Did a search & I don't have that folder on mine. Looked in Program Files & its, not listed either. I have the latest version of WMP as well. Hence my previous answer about removal. But I'm also not able to sign in nor access the store. Lucky me I guess. :thumbsup:

Enough of that though! Since you do have a folder listed, you could try deleting it & see if it hurts anything. I would recommend creating a System Restore Point first before attempting this. If you wouldn't mind an opinion though, unless you have created an account with Urge, I would just leave everything as is & not delete anything at all since it seems to be running ok otherwise.

#7 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Happened to come across URGE in Control Add/Remove tonight---wasn't there before! I just removed it. Will let you know if any untoward MS punishment shows up.

There is in the AVG AS (ewido) a section that has several options re WMP (some good security ones) & even an allow removal of WMP.

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users