Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot From Image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hi.I have three drives.C and D on one disk and E on the other.I want to create two operating systems,one for Internet etc and one for music.The Internet stuff I'm using now is on C which can remain untouched.Using Acronis True Image 7 Ive made a disk image of my music OS for safety.This is on the E drive.
Using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is it possible to use this image as my music OS in order to avoid re-installing from scratch?
Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

I'm not sure that I understand you here. Are you trying to backup some information/data that you have - or are you trying to install a completely new operating system to operate special music/etc programs on? In general the OS that is installed on your system will take care of all this for you.

What Acronis does is it makes an exact copy of the drive that you've told it to image.

Drives are different from partitions, but are often used interchangeably. A physical hard drive is different from the drive letters that you see displayed in Windows. Those drive letters actually reflect partitions that are on the drive. You'll see this in Acronis when you run the imaging software - it'll ask you which drive/partition that you want to image, and there'll be the different drive letters (which are the partitions) and above it will be the actual drive numbers.

Now, generally speaking, your OS is the operating system that runs your computer. It's generally only installed once, and generally on the C:\ drive/partition.

To complicate matters, you can install the programs that run on your operating system anywhere that you please - they aren't restricted to the drive that the OS is on.

If this isn't sufficient, please let me know a bit more detail so we can work this out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi.You're right the second time.To avoid contamination from the Internet it's highly advisable,because of CPU usage by virus and spyware software,to run continuous applications like music on it's entirely separate operating system.I have an Acronis image of this music OS on the E disk(drive).I want to know if I can transfer this image back to a new partition on the disk containing the OS I'm using now as a bootable music OS.I've asked Acronis about this but they take so long to reply.Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

First I'll have to say this - if you're using 2 separate operating systems, then you'll need 2 separate licenses for them. In the case of Windows, not doing this may lead to one of the operating systems becoming unable to boot.

2 things to consider:
1) If you place the image on another drive - whatever is currently on the drive will be overwritten.
2) Depending on the construction of the system, the similarities of the drives, and other factors - this may result in a computer that won't boot.

Now, if this is just moving from one partition to another on the same system, then the danger is minimal. Windows may be able to cope with the changes - but there are ways to minimize the problems.

I'd suggest that you read this article before attempting the move: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html You'll have to construct your image with these factors in mind.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

A Windows license is good for ONE installation on ONE computer only - the second install will not activate nor pass WGA and may cause the first one to be voided as well.

NOT A GOOD IDEA>

If you want a dual boot system try a Linux distribution or something like WIN 2K to run your music, etc, or you will have to buy a second Windows XP license.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users