Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Run Windos Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 imsneakierthanu2

imsneakierthanu2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

Alright, I was on my computer not doing anything just sitting there then my entire desktop icons, start bar, basically everything disappears. So, I tried restarting it. It gets to the the login page for the different users. I click on my profile and it starts up very slowly, not as usual, then an error comes up "The instruction at "0x84712885" referenced memory at "0x84712885". The memory could not be read, click ok to terminate program." So, i click ok and windows explorer shuts down. So i try running it in safe mode. The message is like click no for system restore and click yes to continue into safe mode. I thought system restore is a good idea so I clicked no and system restore pops up then the windows error pops and it closes down. I keep thinking of things i could do but I am completely stumpped. Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

You are right that System Restore would be a good idea.

Can you boot to safe mode with command prompt?

If you can, boot to safe mode with command prompt:

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

#3 imsneakierthanu2

imsneakierthanu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

Alright, i tried doing that. I got to system restore and restored it a couple days back. After you do system restore it restarts your computer, and it did, then i log onto one of the profiles and the same error come up but this time with a different code in the quotes, i tried it once more and the same thing happened with a different code

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Alright, i tried doing that. I got to system restore and restored it a couple days back. After you do system restore it restarts your computer, and it did, then i log onto one of the profiles and the same error come up but this time with a different code in the quotes, i tried it once more and the same thing happened with a different code

Would you please tell us exactly what the second message was.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 imsneakierthanu2

imsneakierthanu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

I figured it out. I ran AVG and it kept closing the it restarted my computer by itself. Then a pop-up of AVG, the warnings, and i deleted them off my system and restarted. Then it work then i had a little balloon on the bottom right saying that windows has installed a new security update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users