Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pauses While Loading Desktop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vanzylb

vanzylb

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

While starting up my computer it loads the desktop and all the icons just fine, but then it pauses with no hard drive activity. I can open up programs using the icons with no problem, but I can't click on the task bar and my mouse pointer turns into an hour glass when I hold it over it. After about two minutes it will suddenly start loading the rest of the services and startup programs.

I've tried to do several things to correct this. First I tried disabling all unnecessary startup programs using "msconfig", that didn't work. Then I selected "diagnostic startup" in "msconfig" this did work, but it meant that pretty much nothing was loaded up. Next I tried "selective startup" and worked my way down the list enabling the processes (restarting after each option change), when I enabled the "services" and restarted it was back to the pausing, so I think its safe to assume that the problem is with the services.

So after this I used an online site which recommends which services can be put on manual or disabled, after eliminating all unnecessary services I restarted, and it still pauses just like before.

Please help, I've looked around a lot to try and solve this problem.

Bernardt

Edited by vanzylb, 13 November 2006 - 09:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shining_Yrael

Shining_Yrael

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

I'm sorry to say that this may not help much... But you could try pressing shift during start up. It will bypass all the start up options not system related.
I was angry with my friend
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

#3 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

I'll try that, but I doubt that will help much, I'm looking for more of a long term solution, thanks for the quick reply

#4 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

Sorry, it didn't work

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

The pause is probably due to some program taking too much time loading.
If you can open any program or move the cursor at all, there is hard drive activity.

How long has this anomaly been happening?

One thing to try is to use the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#6 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

I'm trying it right now, it has been happening for about two months now

#7 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Sorry, yes there is hard drive activity, its not frozen, but its not loading like its supposed to (the light isn't blinking and there's no noise) once I click on say the IE icon, it starts loading and it will finish loading that, then after it just sitting there for two minutes (almost exactly) it starts loading the rest of the startup programs and services

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

Do you know what aps are being loaded in your startup menu?

Instead of msconfig I recommend Startup Inspector to manage the startup menu because it is the easiest ap I have found for this purpose.
It does a far better job of identifying the startup items and connecting them to their aps so you do not accidently disable something that should not be disabled such as anti-virus or anti-malware programs, your firewall, and aps you legitimately want running in the background.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#9 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

I tried Startup inspector and disabled pretty much anything that isn't required by the system, it still has the same pause, I think I'm going to leave the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan running for the night and see what it comes up with in the morning, so far thanks for the help

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

You are welcome.

The scan will only take 1 to 2 hours though but it won't hurt anything to leave the computer on.

It will require some permissions from you in the morning to finish its tasks.

As a quick thought, disable the Windows sounds and see if that eliminates the problem. If the Windows welcome wav has become corrupt the computer will do as you are describing. It's worth a try and you can turn it back on if the problem remains.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 November 2006 - 11:17 PM.

#11 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:58 AM

I left Windows Live Onecare Free Scan running through the night, and had it remove all the problems it could find, I also disabled all the windows sounds, but it still has the same problem with starting up.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

There's a free tool called BootVis (no longer supported by Microsoft) that may be able to help trace this problem (you'll have to experiment with it since I don't have any recent experience with it). It's available here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Also, you could enable bootlogging to see if it can pinpoint the delay. Here's the instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...w.mspx?mfr=true

Once the log is generated you should be able to look through it and look for significant delays.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

I already tried bootvis, unfortunately it seems to think that I'm done booting before that pause happens and so it doesn't record what the cause of that is, I got the boot log, but i don't really know how to read it, the vast majority of the entries say "Loaded driver ...." but there are a few (about 20) that say "Did not load driver ..." Is this normal, or is it a problem that some drivers are not being loaded. Other than that there are no error messages or warnings in the boot log. Here is the drivers that apparently didn't load:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Flpydisk.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\processr.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys

#14 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

Here's some more ideas that you might want to try:

1) When did this start occuring? Did you install any software or upgrade any hardware or firmware before this problem occured?

2) Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
Look to see if you have any Red x's or Yellow !'s. If so, click on the offending entry, click properties and follow any troubleshooting guide listed.

3) Ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your chipset and ATA controller. You should look down the Device manager list to see what you have installed. Then go here to guide you in getting the latest drivers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

4) Visit Windows Updates and get all required critical updates. Also, do a Custom Check and see if you have any patches available for hardware or other hotfixes and install those if it seems to describe your problem

5) Disconnect from the internet and then disable your firewall protection and real-time virus protections. Reboot. If the problem goes away, then one of those are the culprits.

6) Run malware scans and clean anything it finds.

7) Re-boot, tap F8 to get to the Safe Mode menu and then select Last Known Good configuration.

8) Use System Restore to revert to a time before this problem started occuring.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#15 vanzylb

vanzylb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the help, but while digging around my computer I realized that there is a lot of junk on it. I decided to just go with a fresh install, I've been wanting to do it for some time now anyway. That said I'll probably be back on this forum soon enough after doing so since I've never had a fresh install go completely smoothly anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users