Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Ever Been To A Imax Theater?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

I want to go see a movie in IMAX. I heard its like 3d and can make you sick.
Has anyone seen one?

My closest one is 100-120 miles away or so.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well, at that distance I don't think it will be a problem.

Also, I just asked my 92 year old mother if she or any of her friends got nauseous or dizzy watching the movies at IMAX and she said no way. You don't wear glasses to view the movie. It is a wonderful experience. What movie will you be seeing?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have cows, there are three near where I live (at the Science Museum of Minnesota, the Minnesota Zoo and at Valleyfair Amusement Park.

It is true that the difference between what your eyes are telling you (motion) and what your body is telling you (sitting still) can make you feel slightly disoriented at times. I have never seen anyone actually get sick though I suppose it is a possibility.

If you ever get the opportunity to go by all means do so, you will enjoy it. :thumbsup: It is something you really have to experience to understand.

See you around :flowers:

Edited by Ronbo, 13 November 2006 - 11:43 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

I've been to a couple (field-trips and the like). I went on one that was a tour of australia. The view made it look like you were in a plane flying over the outback, ocean, and coral reef. Every setting was EXTREMELY colorful and realistic. The picture looked amazing.

One of them i went to (Charlotte, NC, forgot the exact building...... some science thing) had a show about penguins, and the screen was almost an entire semi-sphere. It swooped LOW in the front, and came over the audience's head. I have no idea how they pulled it off, but it was definately awesome.

As to the "does it make you feel nausaeus (sp?)" question, it definately can. I think it only applies to those w/ weak stomachs or with history of vertigo/motion sickness. I certainly didn't feel sick, but it DID feel like my body was moving. It was a very cool sensation.

I recommend the experience to anyone :thumbsup:

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

I went to disneyworld in orlando florida and they had this HUGE screen that was a perfect circle. You stoop up in a line to watch a movie. Looking behind you did very little but did show you a rear view. The screen was very big.

I dont think it was IMAX but it was huge. It could have been maybe some of you know of it.

I want to see Spiderman 3 when it comes out in march. I may or may not see it in imax. Amazingly the tickets are only 9-10 bucks for adults VS 7(pm movie) for regular movies.

We dont want to drive all that way for a movie but we might could plan a little weekend trip or something.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

The screen is very large, and you are almost overwhelmed by cognitive data. You need to choose which movie you watch very carefully because of this.
You will certainly like the experience, no matter what you decide to see.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

Cognitave data?

Like you could miss something in the movie because its so big?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

Go .. It's great fun :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

I love the one at the Ontario Science Center. It has a curved screen and you really feel in it... And it has an amazing sound system with plenty of Bass :thumbsup: just how I like it :flowers:

#10 zipper

zipper

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:33 PM

There's one not far from where I live that I have been to several times. I get queezy easily but have never had a problem there.
The screen is HUGE. They use a large format film and achieve a very high definition picture. Very few movies are made from this large format film so the choices are limited.
Some of the movies are 3D. Most are not. All are visually spectacular.

If you have never seen one, then definitely go.

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

Talking about the film it is the same height as regular theater film is wide... when you consider regular film is widescreen and such... that makes for some big film... It passes thru the camera on cushions of air because rollers could make it tear at the speed it passes through the machine.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

You can read all about how it works at howstuffworks.com

We might go. It depends. I am sure we will go one day.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax.htm

iMax theaters are awsome!

They are supposively 5 stories high! and have 6 channels of sound!

I've been to about 4 different movies in iMax theaters. At the Science Center in Cleveland and the Science Center in Akron they each have one. Tickets are expensive though. It is (if I remember correctly) from as low as $15 up to $45 per person.

Edited by yano, 20 November 2006 - 06:18 PM.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

My local ones are just 9 bucks!

#15 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

Here is a site that allows you find an iMax theater near you anywhere in the world.

http://www.imax.com/ImaxWeb/welcome.do
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users