Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost- Lots Of Them

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi All.....Going through my task manager list I have come across svchost.exe-System 4 times, svchost-Network 2 times, and in Local Service 1 time, looking in the database, if understood correctly it is undesirable to have it running at all, does anyone know what it is and how do I safely get rid of it?
"I can't change time but time may change me"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

That is normal.

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Buddy for your quick reply, will stop watching them with a suspicious eye now.
"I can't change time but time may change me"

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

I did however read that normal is up 5-6 of them running. But after that many, you should investigate. The average computer has about 4-5 of them running at any given time.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

You can download process explorer from sysinternals:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssexplorer.mspx

Run the program and then you can click on the individual svchost.exe instances. When the properties opens up you can click on the services tab to see what services are running under this particular svchost.exe instance.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

You can download process explorer from sysinternals:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssexplorer.mspx

Run the program and then you can click on the individual svchost.exe instances. When the properties opens up you can click on the services tab to see what services are running under this particular svchost.exe instance.

That.. I didn't know. thanks for that info. I kept wondering "What exactly is running that process?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users