Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

I've decided to start playing more pc games (since my brother hogs the xbox 360) but I need a video card. I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814103167
Is this any good? I'm stuck with PCI and I know they suck, but I'll just have to live with it.

I'm looking for one that will play recent average graphics demanding games. Also I would like to get one for $75, $100 tops.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

hmm... that card isnt the best PCI card within your budget, i would suggest: (see below)

i think this card is the best u can get for under $75 which uses the PCI but dont take this as final. if u can, post as much specs about ur PC as u know, including how many fans (cuz this GPU doesnt have one, only a heatsink)

according to the customer reviews on this item, it can play the Call of Duty 2 Demo maxed out so u should be able to play some games that are out right now maxed out and some not maxed out.

this is the GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814131411
:thumbsup:

NOTE: If u arent a dedicated PC gamer (like me...ho hum...) and u still plan to go back to ur Xbox...when u can, or if u just dont have the money to buy those $50-$60 games out right now, i would stick w/ the one u already have.

but then again i could get u a better GPU for ur PC if u can post ur specs

:flowers:

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:30 AM

Sorry, but a 9250 just doesn't have enough power. It'll struggle on nearly every game. Oblivion will be completly un-playable, Call of Duty 2 will perhaps work in extremly low settings ( i.e 640x480 low textures, low particles, no shadows ) and will look not what the game was designed for. Best PCI card is a X1300, which was fairly recently released. If you plan to game, PCI is fairly dead in the gaming area.

And ATI(AMD) have stoped support for the Radeon 9250, which means no new updates and drivers.

Is upgrading your motherboard and your power supply out of the question? Do you have a buget, how long do you want the PC to be capable of playing games?

Edited by protozero, 14 November 2006 - 02:32 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:33 AM

For about $50 to $75 you may be able to get a motherboard with onboard graphics that exceeds the performance of your current setup. This should let you play a lot of games - and then, as money becomes available, you can upgrade if you choose a mobo with PCIe slots (you can also do it with AGP - but you won't have as much of an ability to upgrade since AGP is dying)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Protozero, that video card looks pretty good, but the thing is its DDR2. I don't know if its related to the ram at all but I'm using DDR. Maybe i'll just wait and get a new motherboard down the road, this computer has bad upgrade slots for everything.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Protozero, that video card looks pretty good, but the thing is its DDR2. I don't know if its related to the ram at all but I'm using DDR. Maybe i'll just wait and get a new motherboard down the road, this computer has bad upgrade slots for everything.

Doesn't matter what kind of RAM on the video card. There is no interaction between your system RAM and a add on video card's RAM.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Oh well I kind of meant do pci slots have like DDR and DDR2 format or does it not matter?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

The memory on the graphics card only connects to the GPU on the graphics card, so any peculiarities of the graphics memory does not in any way affect the rest of the system.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

Best PCI-E Card For Under $100
Radeon X800 GTO 256mb

Codename: R420, 13-micron technology
12 Pixel Shaders, Six Vertex Shaders, 12 Texture Units, 12 Raster Operator Units
256 bit memory bus
400 MHz core, 490-MHz DDR (980 MHz Effective) Memory

A card with 256-bit memory in the lowest price category? Bizarre. For under $100 it hands other cards in this league their butts - the vanilla 6600 GT, X1300 XT and even X1650 PRO simply can't compete with an X800 GTO. Some people will complain about their lack of SM 3.0 capability, but in this category that really doesn't matter--the GTO has the power to pull the highest performance regardless.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/31/the...for_your_money/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users