Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Care Scanner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi All.....This morning I tried to use the Windows Live Care Scanner, I installed the ActiveX when it asked me but from there on in each time I moved my mouse to click on the next button I kept getting Script Error messages, I tried Yes stop running scripts, I tried No don't stop and I also tried just closing it without answering but it kept coming back, its the same few character, line etc repeatedly, is this me, my computer or the site? Can anyone suggest another free resource that will sort out my registry?
"I can't change time but time may change me"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'm far from an expert, but most experts agree... unless you're having some sort of a problem, leave your registry alone. As far as Microsoft's registry cleaner; I learned the hard way. I will never even consider trying that again. Good luck.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Riprip is right on this one.

When viewing pages in IE you are being asked to allow scripts. It is because that is the way you have your options set in IE. You will be asked several times and you will need to accept scripting several times to run the Windows live one care.

If you want to change the setting to allow scripting and get rid of the nag balloons follow the path below:
start/ control panel/ internet options/ security tab / custom level/
scroll down to "scripting" and under "active scripting" select "enable"

That will make your IE browser less secure but if you are like a lot of us here you only use IE when sites want work in Firefox or other browser.

Edited by buddy215, 13 November 2006 - 09:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 shakin_off_dust

shakin_off_dust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

Hey thanks for the replys guys. :thumbsup: ....I just know with all the adding and deleting of programs, email attachments etc especially by my kids that there is a lot of lost registry keys but know what you are saying, used System Suite 5 on my old computer and that left stuff I didn't want but got rid of stuff I did.............now I know this isn't the forum for it but does involve your reply Buddy, I have come across several people who abhor IE, why? And what has Firefox etc got thats better?
"I can't change time but time may change me"

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

Why is Firefox considered better? Oh, boy... Just search forums like this one and also go to Firefox's web site... you could spend hours and hours reading. If I wanted to try to put it in a nutshell, I would just have to say that Firefox puts much more effort and has many more features regarding web security. And when you start to check out all the "themes" and "extentions", you'll see that it's just plain more fun, too!

Edited by rlprlp, 14 November 2006 - 08:09 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Firefox is a more secure browser than IE, as it doesn't use ActiveX comtrols, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an IE security patch.

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than IE, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions
NOTE:
When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems arise, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatabilities, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.

You don't have to uninstall IE to use Firefox, or any other browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want, at the same time.
Some times I'll have IE, Firefox, and Opera all open at the same time.
In fact you can't get rid of IE, as you have to use it to get Windows Updates.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
If you don't like it, just uninstall it, that easy.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

I did some looking around & it seems the script errors you mention are occuring to people using IE7. See here:

IE7 Scipt Error

If this applies to you, & whether or not you chose to try the solutions would be up to you. I would have to agree with the poster # 17 that said Microsoft should be the ones to fix the issue, not the users.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 14 November 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#8 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

I know that this is shakin off dust's thread, but this question may interest him, too. I thought that I heard somewhere that Windows Updates can in fact be downloaded with Firefox by using the "IE Tab" extension. Anyone know anything about this?

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

Yeah. Just tried it myself & it worked on mine.

Just to make a point: If anybody decides that they don't want to have IE7 installed, choose Custom for the updates & uncheck the one for IE7. You can also choose, if you wish, to never show the update again. It can be restored at a later date if needed

Edited by hillbillygreek, 15 November 2006 - 12:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users