Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Live Update Problem From Vers 3.o.o.16 To 3.0.0.171

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

For 2 days I have been at my wits end in trying to update the LU in NAV 2006 home edition that changed on August 2, 2006 when my notebook was in the shop for the last warranty repair before the warranty expired.

This is the first time I have ued my notebook, XP, sp2.

I did a update of the LU last week and it said 26 available for d/l and install and so I did that. Then I checked again a day or so later and the same number was there and I repeated the same action.

Then yesterday I checked again and still the same number.

From googling and posts in other forums I have been able to find out that the LU that I have is old 3.0.0.16 and it changed as i mentioned in August 2, 2006 to 3.0.0.171 and so I am trying to do that so I have my updates current.
I was referred to a Symantec site to Run Lusetup.exe, it seemed to work and then suddenly stopped with the Error: "You need to have write access to the registry to install LU.". Well I do.

I really need to get this updated.

The prerequisites to do this update was:

1. Cannot fix if IE is 5.5 or less, mine is IE 6 and so there should be no problem.
2. Security Settings that allow Activex controls and Java Script.....this might be my problem; I don't know anything about this nor where to look for my settings. I have checked the Tools in IE and see the settings but am unsure of myself and don't know if this could be the culprit and i am illiterate on it.
3. Windows xp, sp2 and I am fine there.
4. 32 mb memory or more and I have no problem there.

The Yellow Norton in my Task Bar shows a green check mark, however I presume that is regarding the good status of my system, I update regularly and scan every night; but want to know if I am actually uptodate with my NAV updates or not, i really don't think so since my version of LU is old.

I was told by another member in a Forum that he had the same program and he tried the Clean Tool and a Reg Clean and had a horrible problem when he went to d/l the full version b/c he found out that here are "permission" keys imbedded in the registry and that not all get cleaned out with the Tool and cause mega problems for the fresh D/L.

I don't want to uninstall the program with the Tool and do a Reg clean until I know that my LU is clean of these " permission " keys and that I can d/l the LU by running the Lusetup.exe.

I really hope that someone here can help me as I am getting concerned about the A/V coverage that my notebook has now as it is likely out of date.

I would appreciate all comments, thankyou. :inlove:

Today this is me>>>> :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: and it is not getting any better!!

Edited by jgweed, 14 November 2006 - 11:32 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hi Georgia, I figuring you run XP,if not Mac version is available on same page

Here's one try .. Run a tool to start LiveUpdate for you

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/share...999121613163206]Start a program that runs LiveUpdate for you://http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...eUpdate for you://http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...eUpdate for you

Another

Manually Update Virus Definitions

Edited by boopme, 14 November 2006 - 09:19 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

I thought that I should post this as I finally solved my problem with d/l here. These FTP version updates were impossible to d/l .
I spent a good week posting at several great forums like BC and made setting changes without correcting the issue and then via a suggestion from one of the other forums I decided to call up my ISP provider and after a total waste earlier of my time checking and making changes etc. BTW, I am sure many other's spent dollars on software technicians only to find out that the ISP provider changed somethings in their service which now required the user to go to IE>Tools>Options>Advanced "and put a check" beside "Use passive FTP for firewall and DSL modem compatability." This new "check" according to the Provider was just recently required and I notice a slowness now of my programs opening????? But my d/l of version updates works, now I'd like to know what is effecting the slowness of my programs to open??? I did a defrag with my program Perfect Disk and that did not have an effect.

Honestly, this was not appreciated by myself and a neighbour who tried to help.
Finally I can d/l these files that were really needed as they were version updates.

I always post solutions in the event that another user may have the same problem occur and I don't want to see them go through what I did.

Cheers and best regards.

Edited by georgia, 18 November 2006 - 08:41 PM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

I'm glad you have solved the problem.

Thanks so much for posting back with your solution. I'm sure it will help other folks in the future.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users