Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Won't Burn Dvd's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

I have a NEC 3550A DVD burner. Is if fully compaterble with all format DVD's + and - and DL including RW.
I can read from DVD fine and also works as a CD player fine. I tried for the first time to burn a data DVD with Nero 7 and it is saying that it is not a compaterble DVD. So I tried a few more and it was happening with all DVD's I tried.
This is really annoying. I have not tried burning CD's with it yet so I can't say if that works or not.
I have done firmware upgrade ion the DVD drive to the latest one and it still will not allow it to burn to the DVD. I have tried other programs and they all have the same issue.

Have you any ideas why this would be the case. I am stumped. I am sure it is something I have overlooked as it surely can't be this dificult to get a DVD to burn.

I am going to try a DVD+R tonight as I was using DVD-R but it should support both.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Oxycotin

Oxycotin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

I had the same problem with mine, except it burned about 10 DVDs and craped out, did you get it at walmart? Try taking it back first and get a new one, if its new and it has a problem, its not your problem:P
if it still doesn't work, its something else(make shure you've set the jumpers right, and never interupt a burn that'll cause damage)

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Here's what you can do.

Download DeepBurner It's FREE:
http://www.deepburner.com

The reason to download it is so you can either change/modify the pcouffin.sys file. That seems to be the issue with burners not working.

I'm also convinced that there is something on our computers that we've not discovered yet. It may be the cause of surfing to certain web sites, and it could be a tactic used by the **AA. It's just too coincidental that burners aren't burning any more, and to make matters worse, no matter what program you use to burn, neither one of them are burning. I've been testing it on 3 computers and I noticed that the one computer that never goes online has the burner that works, but the others that go online.... coincidently those burners quit burning.

Another reason to download the DeepBurner is that I found that installing any new burner software will cause the others to start working again. Again, I personally believe there are attacks on burners (or the drivers that control them). At least to slow down the spreading of cd's/dvd's. This is pure speculation though.... but I'm very suspicious of this burner problem I'm seeing starting to sprout up in various forums.

Hopefully installing that software will get your burner working again. Once you install it, try your other software, and if it still doesn't work, try the DeepBurner.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

Well it actually seems to be program specific. I managed to get Nero to burn a couple of DVD's last night. I still cant get the original software to recognise the DVD's in the drive.
I can't remember the program it was a AVI to DVD burning program.

I found that nero really reduced the quality of the avi file. This seems really wierd. The avi is 700mg and the DVD 4.7gig and it was worse quality. Not sure how that happened.
Posted Image

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

I quit using Nero. Bundled with too much stuff. After uninstalling it, it left over 2,500 references in my registry.

What are you doing with your .avi files using Nero?
Are you just burning them to dvd to play in a DivX player or are you using Nero to convert them to dvd format?

Either way, Nero has made a bad impression to me when it comes to converting .avi to dvd. You should try WinAVI and DVD Santa. Those two will always be in my arsenal.

Although converting used to be good, since I've found out about the DivX players, I don't waste time converting anymore. You can fit an average of 6 .avi movies on a 4.7G dvd, put it in your DivX player, select the title from the menu screen... and watch your movies. They cost around $40+. If you haven't you should invest into one. You won't have to take hours just to convert 1 movie,, and hope it turns out right. Thirty minutes or so, and you can have about 6 movies ready to be watched on your tv with a DivX player.

If the problem is with one of the programs, you may need to reinstall it. It might help. also, I'm still trying to figure out what keeps causing this issue.

Did you try and install another burner software? You may not want to do it, but I can tell you, on my end, it worked both times. Also, reading about the file Pcouffin.sys, I believe I read a forum where they say a worm or such called Bagle have been found to reside inside of that file.

[Added]If you haven't already, maybe it's time to do a virus scan.

Edited by Walkman, 14 November 2006 - 09:47 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

Although lot's of folks will swear by Nero - it's just got too many problems for me. I've heard a lot of good about DeepBurner - but I prefer this free app because it doesn't require any installation: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

Although lot's of folks will swear by Nero - it's just got too many problems for me. I've heard a lot of good about DeepBurner - but I prefer this free app because it doesn't require any installation: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

If my memory serves me correctly, I've gotten hip to DeepBurner because of one of your posts.. It's cool, and it works.

For some reason, when I installed it, it seemed to have corrected other burner program issues. That's why I'm thinking that there is a common file used that MAY..MAY,, be infected, that uses the burners. Just speculation, but it's narrowing down to just that, the burner drivers are being infected. My problem started around May - June, this year. But I've had my burner and software for over a year though, and all were working fine up until then.

If any of you use DAEMON TOOLS, I'd advise if you have the older version of it (before they added the advertisement bar), use that one instead. This new one is too suspicious to me. They added a tool bar for advertisements, which I don't allow anyway, but.. that doesn't wash well with me. I just want a virtual drive, and not advertisements.

There is another FREE program that I found usasma, that's a burner and has other excellent features that I never saw in a burner program before. I downloaded it last week, and when I finish up on this other computer, I'll post the link to it. It's awesome, and it's totally FREE. It'll let you edit covers, and menus.... differently than the traditional tools. I can't quite explain it yet, but when I saw the screen shots, and saw what and how it does what it does... I said "I gotta have it". I'll post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users