Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Very Angry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:27 AM

Well i've fallen to be a freeware freak for anti spyware and i used your guide for downloading. I decided to install some A2 stuff because i thought the program was great. I installed A2 Anti Malware and A2 Anti Dialer. I scanned with both of them, the dialer picked up wrongly as a "possible RAS Dialer" but it said above some programs use em and it was for the Sims2....I don't think Will Wright would mass market a dialer. Then i scanned with Anti Malware and it came up bit of spyware. I liked its detection so i decided to use BETA updates. Installed on Anti Malware first and it worked great. Installed on Anti Dialer...NOD32 pops up and detects this HUGE 1.4GB .dat file as a possible new heuristic PE Virus. I don't know if it's true or not but NOD32 hasn't led me wrong yet. Why would Emmisoft do this to me? Is this REALLY a virus NOD32 picked up? Why would the file be a gig? The virus itself is gone i scanned everything last night (17 scanners now) and it picked up nothing and NOD32 assures deletion, I just want to know why this happened.
I also looked up a bit on RAS Dialers...apparently it appears as a phone icon in the tray...A2 Anti Dialer is a phone with a 2 on it in my system tray..would it BE a dialer? NOD said PE Virus not Dialer but i dont know.

btw...

I think NOD32 should get a new screen...it's kinda freaky at night in your room when your AV pops up all red with an eye with lines going down it with a bunch of what looks like gibberish until you read =P

Thanks,
Nick

Edited by moomoo, 13 November 2006 - 07:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

"NewHeur_PE virus
File marked as "NewHeur_PE vírus" was detected using broad heuristics because it contains parts of code typical of worm infiltrations spread over the internet. Using this method NOD32 was able to identify worms Win32/Zafi.B, Win32/Mydoom.R, Win32/Bagle.X and many others."-Quote From NOD32.

Thats the file it detected when it downloaded and that makes my problem alot worse...Please hepl me find out why A2 did this or if its just NOD acting up i REALLY need your help
Thanks,
Nick

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hello Moomoo:

I"m not familiar with NOD32, but I do have some experience with A2 antii-dialer, so bear with me while I do some thinking 'out loud' here that might help you solve the problem.

1) A2 anti-dialer will detect legitimate dialers - it says so in its program description. In my opinion, its live detection is not specific enough. For example, I have three dial-up connection short cuts on my desktop. A2 anti-dialer live detection detects each one of them as Windows Explorer attempting to dial out. If I tell the program to 'always allow.' My concern is that it then won't detect true bad ones that also utilize Windows Explorer.

2) A2 anti-dialer is still quite new. Frankly, I consider it more as a beta program, even though it is not labeled as such. NOD32 might be picking up part of its detection database and flagging it as an infection - this would be a false positive.

3) Question: Is your A2 anti-malware the free version or the payware version? If the latter, the anti-dialer protection is part of it and you don't need the separate anti-dialer program.

4) I"d avoid the Beta updates unless you want to test them. Beta means that they are still working out problems, and the end-user is finding what those problems are. It is possible that what NOD32 is detecting is one of the Beta updates to the Anti-dialer program.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thank you very much Orange Blossom!

The anti malware is freeware and i downloaded the Anti Dialer seperatly..and it DOES seem to be working out flaws...it detected Sims2 as a RAS Dialer XD. Thank you very much for the help and i think i busted it...i kinda decided to try and download 10 more times XD and now it wont connect lmfao

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Okay, since you have the A2 anti-malware free version it doesn't contain the anti-dialer part so you are fine there.

What did you try to download 10 more times: the Sims2 or the A2 anti-dialer?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:57 AM

The Anti Dialer...but thats me im pretty dumb at times =P. i did it 3 because i thought it was just a flaw maybe and i didnt several others cause i was bored XD

Im uninstallin the Sims2 because i rarely use it and its killing my virtual memory....and knowing me after i uninstall im gonna want to play it again =P

Thanks,
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users