Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page_fault_in_non_paged_area Bsod

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nickarsow

nickarsow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:37 AM

Dear All ,
I'm new in this forum ,but I fix computer problems since 1986.
But there's a problem I couldn't fix.
BSOD: Page_fault_in_non_page_area (during shutdown after "windows is shutting down")
The OS is WinXP+SP2. ZoneAlarm , AVG7 + AVG Anti Spy,MSI core center at startUp.
I disabled the swap file for I have enough RAM , tested ram with
a DOS ram tester ,examined all information in event viewer , sysinfo
, driver details and so on ...... - nothing suspicious.
Additional info - this is random problem.
Does anyone know a software to find the base addresses of all drivers and loaded
modules , because the crash addres is reported in the BSOD.
Best regards to all
Nick Arsow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

See if one of these might help:
Your computer crashes and you receive a "Stop 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA Srv.sys" error message
Executable with a Specially Malformed Image Header May Crash Windows NT

Could you post the exact error message?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nickarsow

nickarsow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Thanks tq1911,
But one link points to NT service packs and the other to Win Server 2003.
As I deleted the eventlog viewer log I can't send you the complete info.
The minidump file is merely unusable. So- I'll send you the next crash.
Also is there any soft which could find the loaded software base addresses ?
That's for now
Best regards
Nick

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

Here's another link to these kind of errors: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

The first place to check would be your memory. Try this free memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/ Please read the instructions carefully and let the test run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). If you start getting errors you can stop the test. If you've got more than one stick of RAM, you can test the sticks individually to see which are bad (if necessary).

Additionally, you may be able to locate more information on the BSOD error by looking in your Event Viewer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Or, if the minidump file is accessible, you can try this technique to analyze it and post the results here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nickarsow

nickarsow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

Dear tq1911,
Dear usasma,
Here's the debug information created with WinDBG.
-----------------------------------------------------------
* Bugcheck Analysis *

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
is pointing at freed memory.
Arguments:
Arg1: e507758c, memory referenced.
Arg2: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: bf8ade90, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
address.
Arg4: 00000001, (reserved)

Debugging Details:
------------------

Could not read faulting driver name

READ_ADDRESS: e507758c

FAULTING_IP:
win32k!ReadLayoutFile+22c
bf8ade90 397808 cmp dword ptr [eax+8],edi

MM_INTERNAL_CODE: 1

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x50

PROCESS_NAME: winlogon.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from bf8adc34 to bf8ade90

STACK_TEXT:
f76bf944 bf8adc34 e12b9ef0 00ff0178 00000858 win32k!ReadLayoutFile+0x22c
f76bf964 bf8d1b3b 000000d8 000017c0 0000757c win32k!LoadKeyboardLayoutFile+0x6a
f76bf9f0 bf8d163d 86e5ec68 000000d8 00000000 win32k!xxxLoadKeyboardLayoutEx+0x1be
f76bfd40 8053c808 000000d8 757c17c0 0006f8cc win32k!NtUserLoadKeyboardLayoutEx+0x152
f76bfd40 7c90eb94 000000d8 757c17c0 0006f8cc nt!KiFastCallEntry+0xf8
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
0006f894 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x7c90eb94

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
win32k!ReadLayoutFile+22c
bf8ade90 397808 cmp dword ptr [eax+8],edi

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: win32k

IMAGE_NAME: win32k.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 41107f7a

SYMBOL_NAME: win32k!ReadLayoutFile+22c

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x50_win32k!ReadLayoutFile+22c

BUCKET_ID: 0x50_win32k!ReadLayoutFile+22c

Followup: MachineOwner
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a little time left ,please take a look at it and
reply.
Best regards
Nick

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Since this is a memory error - have you checked your memory as I suggested above? What were the results?

If it's not the memory, then it's most likely a driver (but the debugger wasn't able to identify it) that's accessing the memory improperly. There are other possible causes - but the drivers are by far the most likely culprit here.

That leads us to replacing the drivers, one by one, to see if the problem is solved.

I'd start by uninstalling and reinstalling drivers in the following order:
1) motherboard/chipset
2) video
3) Network
4) any onboard devices built into the motherboard (integrated devices)
5) any devices plugged into the motherboard and are inside the case (internal devices)
6) any devices that plug into the case (external devices)

PS - I read your initial post again and found that you'd already ran the memory test. Since Windows allocates memory dynamically, there aren't fixed addresses for where the drivers load. You'd have to run more advanced programs than the debugger to get the information - and would probably have to wait to recreate the error in order to capture that information (although a complete memory dump might do this for you - but I haven't experimented with it myself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

Have you re-established the page file?
No matter how much ram you have Windows Memory Manager will push some aps that are open but not currently being used into the pagefile.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.

#8 nickarsow

nickarsow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:44 AM

Dear "usasma" and "enthusiast",
Thanks for your quick replies.
First I've started memtest v3.2 for about 20 minutes - nothing , but when
I left it for about 3 hours - the second memory card started giving errors at two
addresses , although the temperature is 32 deg. inside the case.
Today I replaced it and will wait for BSOD to see if happen.
Thanks again. I'll inform you for the result.
Best regards
Nick

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Memtest is best when left to run overnight. Errors often won't be generated until the memory has been thoroughly tested a number of times - that's why the test must run for a long time.

#10 nickarsow

nickarsow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:49 AM

Dear All fellows,
I changed memmory with new ones , performed the memtest for 5 hours - O.K.
BUTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!! A new BSOD with the same data appeared !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I start from zero !
Next I'll try drivers - uninstall and reinstall.
Please give more ideas.
Best regards
Nick

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

As mentioned earlier, drivers are most likely the culprit. We can continue to look for errors and try to puzzle out which one it is. But updating them in the order described should be just as quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users