Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unread posts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:46 PM

Is it possible to have an option to see 'Unread Messages' as opposed to just 'New Messages since last visit'?

There are many times I pop in but do not have time to look at all the messages that have arrived since my last visit. Then if I leave and come back again later in the day, the previous unread but 'new' messages are no longer 'new' and I have no easy way to access them.
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:35 PM

If you click into your "Control Panel" there is an option there to see all unanswered
posts for the last 30 days. HTH
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

When I know I do not have time to respond to messages, I save the shortcut to them in a folder. I come back to them later by just dragging the shortcut back in the address bar.

I know that is not what you are looking for, but maybe it will help some.

Edited:
I think I figured out a way for you using the board's sorting. Open a topic, and at the very bottom, you will see the 1st screen:

Posted Image

Make the changes to match the next pic:

Posted Image

When you click go, you will complete the sorting.

Edited by JEservices, 22 December 2004 - 11:19 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:23 AM

Yes, I use these methods when they give me what I'm looking - but neither really shows me 'unread posts'. The closest I've found is to use "My Assistant" and then "Todays active posts", but that clears (at midnight?).
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:48 AM

I am not really sure what you mean.. you are looking for a list of posts that you have not read?

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

Let's try it this way....

I'm reading 'View New Posts', and after finishing, I click on 'Mark all posts as read'. I leave the board.

During my absence, posts A, B, C, D, E, F, & G are posted. I return and check for new posts and find A, B, C, D, E, F, & G but only have time to look at (read or decide not to read) A, B, & C. I leave the board without clicking on 'Mark all posts as read'.

I come back an hour later hoping to finish reading D, E, F, & G, but after clicking on "View New Posts', see only H, I, & J listed. D, E, F, & G are now 'lost in the crowd'.

I understand why this is the case - the board creates a list of posts made after the time/date of my last visit, and D, E, F, & G were made before my last visit so are not included. I'm wondering if there is a way around this so that I could bring up messages actually unread or that perhaps the option to bring up all messages posted in the last (arbitrary) time frame - similar to JEServices suggestion but forum wide.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:25 PM

Unfortunately not. Would kill the database as each post would have to have a list of who read it, or each memeber would have to have alist of what posts they have read. Unfortunately this would not be good :thumbsup:

I may put into the site the ability to bookmark posts, which may help you in this regards. Not sure when this will get done though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users