Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Words, Windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

I have this friend, Ms. Naive....

She bought a second-hand pc (a pentium 3) for her 11 year old daughter. It comes with all 'pre-installed software', like Windows 2000, Microsoft Word, excel, IE, winamp....and so on. Knowing that her software is of pirated version, she dare not let her daughter go online. Nor she dare to turn on Automatic Update. She told me that Microsoft can detect her pc and all her installed Microsoft software if she go online to the net.

As a friend, I understand her worries, but pity her for not able to know how much she & her daug can learn from the web. (bleepingcomputer is a good example to learn fixing ur pc)
If u asked her to buy the original software, it's not worth it, cos her pc cost much lesser than to get the original softwares.

Since Im here today, I hope to get some comments regarding this Microsoft piracy issue. Is she facing a risk if she lets her kid use Ms Word & Windows of non original software?

I thought of letting her install my WinXP CD which comes with the Dell laptop I purchase, but I noted that my CD cover reads 'for reinstalling operating system for new Dell pc only'. So I scrap the idea.

Any suggestion / comments? :thumbsup:
-Veronica Yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

First, are you sure that the Windows2000 is pirated, and did not come installed on the the original PC? If it IS pirated, your naive friend's only legal option is to purchase a genuine copy of W2000 (or XP if the computer meets its requirements). One could also install Linux (a free operating system)---Microsoft does not own the computer world.
There are very good alternates to MS Office (Word, etc.) such as OpenOffice.org (an open source, FREE alternative compatible with MS files). IE6, OExpress are freely downloadable from Microsoft; moreover, there are excellent alternatives to either in Firefox and Thunderbird (free, open-source browsers). All of these have Linux versions, I believe.
Here is a list of useful free applications:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

Thanks John,...
wow, thats a real cool usefull link. I like it!. Its good to have everything under one roof, and its free!
...And Grinler's link to Graphic design & Editing. ( I love graphic design )

Im really happy and amazed from what Im getting here, just by asking a simple question for my friend.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Thanks everyone......

Regards;
-veronica yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

tg1911, I've just checked with my friend. Yes her windows 2000 is not a genuine one.
I might be getting a win xp home edition later for my son's pc later in December (he's using win98 now).
May I know, can I share with her my original CD for win xp? Of course I will install first to my son's pc, have it registered, then only pass to her. So she got a genuine win xp. (what's the min RAM required to install win XP?)

If I were to do this, it's not adviceable for her to get the security updates, right?
And she's cant go online for ANY microsoft patches, right?
Can she just use windows as it is, skip all the patches and updates?
Then maybe she can try to have Firefox and all the free spyware protection programs.

The reason is, she cant have Linux, as the pc is used by her daughter, who's learning ms word & excel in school.
She hope that her PC will looks and behave like the one in her daug's school so she won't be confused by the different programs, like Linux.
Anyway, I dont think there will be trouble as she's not using the pc to gain profit or use it in office. Just at home for a kid, so no need so much legal procedures abt Microsoft.

Thank you very much john. I hope there's help.
If the legal / piracy issue is not proper to discuss in the forum, pls PM me instead. I really appreciate that.
No wonder some called Microsoft as Micro$oft!
Veronica Yeoh

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hi Veronica,

tg1911 asked me to look at this post. I know you are trying to help your friend and mean well, but you should know you are putting us in a sticky situation. We can't give support to illegal activities. Helping your friend with an illegal OS would fall into that category. I hope you understand--we aren't finding fault with you or your friend. You just need to know that just because other people have done this and gotten away with it, whether they know it is wrong or not, doesn't mean that it is right or OK for you to.

Say what you will about Micro$oft, no they aren't hurting for money, but they do have a right to the income that is due to them. To run an illegal copy of their software is stealing, plain and simple. So I agree with John that your friend has few options. The only other thing I would recommend is the maybe try to contact MS. They've had amnesty programs in the past--for example, many users in the UK were sold pirated OS's without knowing it and an amnesty program was set up for them--and you might get a break on the price of a new legal OS.

One thing I will say--XP is more restricted than 2000--but I'm pushing the envelope here.

Now let me attempt to answer some of your specific questions:

May I know, can I share with her my original CD for win xp? Of course I will install first to my son's pc, have it registered, then only pass to her. So she got a genuine win xp.

No, not to install on her PC. It is only a genuine XP when installed on one specific PC. Yours if installed first on yours. It won't be genuine if installed on hers. Think of it this way: MS owns that software. You are buying permission to use it thru the license agreement, which is a legally binding contract. One of the terms of the contract is that you will only install it on one machine. Another copy must be purchased to be able to install on another machine. If you violate the terms of the contract, your license is revoked. Think of it like a driver's license. If you lend your friend your driver's license, it still doesn't make it legal for her to drive.

Also, and I don't know if this is true or not, but I was talking to a person at a computer shop that said someone installed their copy of XP on their system, lent it to someone else and their own legal copy was shut down. So it's not worth it.

what's the min RAM required to install win XP?

MS says the absolute minimum is 64 MB, but that is a joke as it also notes it "may limit performance and some features". It recommends 128, but that is barely enough to just run Windows without adding any programs. It is generally acknowledged that the best performance occurs at a minimum of 512 MB.

If I were to do this, it's not adviceable for her to get the security updates, right?
And she's cant go online for ANY microsoft patches, right?
Can she just use windows as it is, skip all the patches and updates?
Then maybe she can try to have Firefox and all the free spyware protection programs.

I really can't help you with this. Other than to say, if she keeps it off the internet--and doesn't transfer infected files over from another PC--then there is no need for Antivirus, Anti-Spware or even Firefox. But there are other reasons to get patches, so she's between a rock and a hard place.

The reason is, she cant have Linux, as the pc is used by her daughter, who's learning ms word & excel in school.
She hope that her PC will looks and behave like the one in her daug's school so she won't be confused by the different programs, like Linux.

Well, her daughter can learn those programs in school. I haven't messed any with Linux, so can understand the reluctance, but it is an operating system and it's legal. It won't hurt her daughter to learn Linux and might even be beneficial to her. And OpenOffice.org is much the same as the MS Office programs, so the learning curve on it should be much the same.

Anyway, I dont think there will be trouble as she's not using the pc to gain profit or use it in office. Just at home for a kid, so no need so much legal procedures abt Microsoft.

What it is used for is really beside the point. Illegal is illegal.

You might think life is cruel sometimes, but I often think of an old Rolling Stones song when giving advice in situations like these. You Can't Always Get What You Want

You Can't Always Get What You Want
But if you try sometimes
You just might find
You get what you need

I suggest your friend give the alternatives a try and sorry we can't be of more help.

If anyone has some suggestions on some Linux OS's that are easy to use, or other--legal--suggestions, please post. Otherwise I will close this thread.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Thank you Papakid for your reply. I'm glad that I don't get any warning for this post.
Pls close this topic if needed. :thumbsup: I've got the answers I needed.
Veronica Yeoh

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

OK, closed then. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools