Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Wont Boot.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

Ok. My girlfriends brother had a pc that didnt work, and instead of fixing it they bought two new laptops. He gave it to her and said if she can get it running she can keep it.

The problem:
When i first got it, it would not start up. I replaced the PSU and magically it starts up. However, i have no video.
When i opened it i also noticed that it has onboard graphics.
I tried putting in an after market card i had laying around (agp) and nothing.
I cant get in to the BIOS at all. I have no clue were to go from here. I think the PSU died and took the motherboard with it.

The pc:
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T2200

At the moment i have it stripped down to the basics. (No cd, dvd, or floppy)

The card im trying to put in is an Nvidea gforce 2 mx. I dont have any real info on it. It was my mom's bf's and i doubt he has any info on it. If you need more i can probably google the part number.

Thank you for all of your help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:04 AM

If you know the on-board graphics card is bad, and you replace it with a known good one, and the problem still exists, then the problem is that the motherboard is probably shot.

How many beeps does the computer make upon trying to do a P.O.S.T?

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:24 AM

no beeps but i didnt see an internal speaker on the inside any were. I dont imagine it would beep through normal pc speakers would it?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:53 PM

If there is an internal speaker (normally is), it's usually attached to a wire set (red/black -could be other color sets), and it's attached to the motherboard. It should beep. It may be that it's not connected. I've had a computer once where the internal speaker wasn't attached.

If you know without a shadow of a doubt that the other video card is good, then there is that possibility the moterboard is bad.

Take the card out, and reseat it in again, and boot it up.
Also, if you have a set of (2 wires) coming from the speaker, going to the motherboard, but it's not connected, then it's not connected. I don't have the diagram or schematics for it, so I'm not sure of the exact location to plug it in. But if you look closely, you'll see possibly a few plug-in spots for connections. One of those will be it. Some motherboards will have it labled in white letters/words what that spot is for. Many times they'll just use codes to indicate that spot.

But try the reseating of the video card.. but if you can, listen for any beeps at all.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

First of all, there is more than one type of AGP card.
Are you trying to install the right kind?

Some video cards have an additional feed from the power supply. Did you look ans see if this one does?

Does it have a separate fan, and if so is the fan running?

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 November 2006 - 12:02 AM.

#6 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:10 AM

Walkman - I'm pretty sure i found the speaker connection on the mother board. and i didnt see any speaker inside the case. Ill double check though.

Enthusiast - I thought i posted a link to the specs. If you give me a minutes ill paste them in here. Ill also see what i can find out about my AGP card. Ill have to see if i can run the parts number through google. As for the extra power needs. Wouldn't there be a connector on the card? It didnt have any power connections on it. After my moms bf goes to bed i might throw the card in the other pc and double check to see if it definitly works.

Edit: Hers the specs i found on Emachines websites

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+ Processor (1.80GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset: VIA KM 266
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 100GB (7200rpm) HDD
Optical Drive: 40 × 12x40x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Premium Multi-Media Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Amplified Speakers
Ports/Other: 3 IEEE 1394 ports (2 on front), 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

give me a bit and ill look up some information on the graphics card. If you need more let me know... i might be able to run individual part numbers for things such as the mother board if i can locate them on the components.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by luciusad2004, 14 November 2006 - 12:16 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

I found the link - but not what I was looking for.

I wanted to see if it stated what AGP card type it supported 2x, 4X or 8X, and see if there was a diagram of the motherboard - the answer was no to both.

Something else to try might be to start in safe mode so only the basic video drivers load and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 November 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:20 AM

If you look at the card here you will see a small two wire connector that plugs on to the video card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8&CatId=318

This one doesn't have it
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...3&CatId=692

#9 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

Ok the card with the power connectors had two different types. It had the type that looked like it would go to a fan on the long edge, and what looked like a molex connector on the thin edge. Either way... my card has neither.

ok i'm pretty sure this is the card

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....MX400_Pro-TC64S

• 64MB SDRAM
• nVidia® GeForce 2 MX400 Chipset
• 2x/4X AGP
• 256-bit Graphic Architecture GPU
• 20 Million Transistors/sec Through T&L
• 350MHz RAMDAC
• Maximum 3D/2D Resolution of 2048x1536 @75Hz
• Supports Windows® 9x, ME, NT, 2000 and Linux
• TV-Out, AV-Composite, S-Video Cable

Ill see if i can get some info on the mother board tomorrow. Its bed time for now

Edited by luciusad2004, 14 November 2006 - 03:29 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Have you tried to reset the BIOS? Unplug the system from the wall, then remove the battery on the motherboard. Wait 30 minutes, then put the battery back in - you should be able to get into the BIOS from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/ecs/L7VMM2.htm

Im pretty sure that is the motherboard

Internal/External AGP
Suspend to RAM
Hardware monitoring
USB 2.0
IEEE 1394 (optional)
PROCESSORS

462 pin Socket A supports the AMD® K7 processors
Full series of Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron
processors
CHIPSET

VIA® KM266 (NB) & VT8235 (SB) Chipset
KM266 V-Link Host system controller and VT8233 V-Link Client to PCI/LPC bridge
Peak Bandwidth 266MB/S 8-bit V-link Host Controller
Integrated ProSavage 8 2D/3D video accelerator, 32MB shared memory
LPC I/O !V IT8705F
VIA® VT6306 IEEE 1394 host controller (optional)
LAN: 10/100 Mbps faster Ethernet (optional)
AC97 Audio Codec: Compliant with AC97 2.2 specification
SYSTEM BIOS

Award 2Mb Flash EEPROM
Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, AMP 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
Support for ACPI revision 1.0 specification
MEMORY

2 DDR DIMMs sockets support 2.5V DDR SDRAM (DDR266/DDR200)
Maximum: 1GB (Unbuffered Memory)/ 2GB (Buffered Memory)
I/O INTERFACE

Supports Plug and Play function
PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse connectors
Dual USB ports and an optional LAN connector
Dual USB ports and an optional IEEE 1394 connector
1 - EPP/ECP mode parallel port
1 - 16550 high-speed serial I/O ports
VGA connector
Audio ports (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in, CD-in and game port)
Dual PCI IDE interfaces - support four IDE devices (PIO mode 4, DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA 66/100/133)
Supports 360K~2.88M Byte, 3 mode FDDs or LS120
ATX power supply connectors
Ports, headers and others:
IrDA header
Dual extra USB Ports (USB3)
Front Panel MIC/Line-Out header
HDD LED, ACPI MSG LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch headers
CPU and case fan headers
LAN Card Wake Up / Modem Ring Wake-Up headers
RTC & BATTERY

VT8235 included 256 bytes of CMOS
With CMOS hardware clear jumper
EXPANSION SLOTS

3 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 1 CNR slot
FORM FACTOR

microATX (244mm*230mm), 4 Layers

usasma - im reseting the bios now.

When im done i might throw the mother board in my empty case (if my case can be configured to hold it), that way i can connect the speaker in my case up to it.

Edit: I could have swore that information included the agp speed here it is from another page

EXPANSION SLOT 1 x AGP 4X slot
3 x PCI slots
1 x CNR slot

Edited by luciusad2004, 14 November 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#12 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

Ok, I just placed this motherboard in my unused case and i got everything up and running. Same problem, no beeps. Im assuming that the motherboard is dead.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

Not necessarily - but IMO most likely :thumbsup:

What parts are in common between the 2 builds? It's most likely that it's one of them that's bad.

So, try this hardware troubleshooting routine to see if it helps to isolate the issue:

Instructions

• Test your memory with this free utility: MemTest86 Let it run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better).
    This will ensure that your memory is error free and isn't the source of the problem.

• If Windows is still running, run this free, online test: Windows Live Scanner
    This will ensure that you're malware free, will clean your registry, will delete your Temp files, and will defragment your hard drive.

• Then check the SMART status of your hard drive using this free utility: SpeedFan
    This will ensure that your hard drive isn't the source of the problem (due to an impending failure). If Windows isn't running, you'll still need it - so download it anyway.

• If Windows isn't working to install SpeedFan, then go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a bootable drive test CD/floppy from there. Run the test on your drive to see if it is OK.

• Unplug the system from the wall, and ensure that you remain grounded to the metal chassis throughout the procedure. Then, remove everything from the system leaving only these components:

Case (and remove it if you've got a non-conductive mat you can use for testing (and no kids or cats to get into it).
    PSU (Power Supply Unit)
    CPU, cooler and fan
    1 stick of RAM (presumed to be good since you ran the MemTest86 utility in Step 1)
    Video card
    monitor
    keyboard
    floppy drive OR CD drive (not both)

• On the very first boot, disable any onboard devices (like the USB ports) in the system BIOS.

• At some point (if this is a hardware failure) you'll find the error is caused by a particular piece of hardware. While this is most likely the cause of your problems - please remember that it can be a combination of things that have caused this. As such, a single device replacement won't necessarily fix the problem.

So, on to the troubleshooting! Just follow these steps until you get the error. Then do it again to double check. Then replace the device that caused it and all should be well with the system (see caveats above).

- Try and boot from a DOS floppy.
    - If it works, then add the mouse and try again.
    - If that works, then add the hard drive and try again.
    - If that works, then start trying to get Windows to load.

Once Windows is up, use this free utility to check the SMART status of your hard drive: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Generally, this sequence should at least allow your system to boot up. If not, post what you've done on the forums and someone will be able to help you isolate the problem.

Once that's done, start by enabling the onboard devices (one at a time). Check for the error and then enable the next one.

After all the onboard devices are done, then start with the devices that plug into the mobo inside of the case. Do these one at a time also.

Then start plugging in the external devices, one by one, until they're all in.

• So, you've found the bad device and have replaced it. Either this makes the problem go away or it doesn't. If it fixed it, great! If not, let's start the troubleshooting all over and try it again. Since the case is stripped, the easiest thing is to run through this hardware troubleshooter again.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

The spare case isnt a build its just an empty case at the moment. I threw it in there because the current case has no speaker. Plus... it was so tiny it became slightly annoying to work with. I dont really have any compatable parts. Im pretty sure its a socket A, AMD processor, im pretty sure they arent very common, although i did notice that on newegg, they seem to be fairly cheep.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

Socket A's can still perform adequately for most computing needs.

The troubleshooting steps will remain the same tho' - strip the system down to the bare minimum and try it - if it works, one of the parts you took out was bad. If it doesn't, then one of the few parts that's left is bad.

Once you know that, then you can start working on the exact part that's at fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users