Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huhndiddy15

huhndiddy15

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hello. I purchased a custom computer a few months ago and it worked like a charm. Anyways, the hard drive went bad for whatever reason, but it failed to load and would give me a 4th Master Hard disk problem (which was the hard drive) so I got a new hard drive and put it in no problem. Now I go and try to reinstall Windows and this is where I get problems. The cd loads up and I can go through and the formatting of the hard drive goes good. Then the setup gets to the actualy copying of files to the hard drive and problems arise. Setup gets to about 80% done every time and then files just start to not be able to copy to the hard drive. The error that pops up gives the file which could not be correctly copied(which is a different file almost every time which perplexes me) and then has an error which says something along the lines that the file could not be copied correctly and it states that the cd might be the problem. It also gives the option to retry to install the file or skip installing the file altogether. Sometimes you can get the file to install by retrying but eventually another file pops up and then another and then another. This all leads to the "blue screen of death" appearing giving a different message for the failure everytime including IRQL_ NOT_ OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN _NONPAGED_AREA. Now I am just totally confused as to what I should do. Is this a cd problem? I don't think so as I used a different Xp boot cd and again it did the same thing. Is there a problem with any connections or my hard ware. Any help that you could give me would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

IRQL_ NOT_ OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN _NONPAGED_AREA is usually caused by a driver problem.

Are you using the Windows XP CD that was used to install the original install or ?

Do you have the CD as the first boot device?

Is the HD sata and if so did you load the sata drivers at the proper time?

#3 huhndiddy15

huhndiddy15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Yes this is the original cd used to make the first installation and yes the cd is the first boot device. If I don't have the cd as the first boot device t never even prompts me to boot from a cd. My hard drive is this: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II but I don't think it came with any drivers or anything. Is there something else I should be installing before I try loading Windows?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Drivers for the sata.

They should have been either on the cd that came with the mb or on one labeled "drivers", and if you notice, Windows offers a chance to install these kind of drivers when you begin installing WIndows.

If they are not in the mb cd they should be on the support web site for the mb.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 November 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#5 NeilEdlin

NeilEdlin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

I recall I have previously had a similar sort of problem when installing XP onto a SATA drive.
Usually setup says that it cannot find a Hard disk and will not continue. I had to download a 1.44mb floppy creator tool which is then inserted into the machine and then press F6 to when prompted during XP setup.
It becomes a nightmare if it is a new machine without a floppy drive, because XP will not recognise any other media format.
I also recall this being related to a faulty stick of RAM. If you are able to either swap some or all of the RAM and try again, that may help.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:03 AM

The SATA driver issue was "solved" with the advent of SATA II - so the floppy was no longer required to load the drivers. SATA II capable motherboards have the ability to detect the drives just like older motherboards can recognize IDE drives.

Since you're getting driver errors while installing windows - this suggests a hardware incompatibility problem. And the lack of SATA drivers on an pre-SATA II mobo are the most likely cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users