Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Harddrive Dead/dying

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ekhardt

ekhardt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

Hi. My technical knowledge is kind of on the low side. Bear that in mind. I'll get right to my query.

A screen just came up telling me that my Toshiba MK6021GAS harddrive is predicted for "imminent failure" sometime in the near future. I have a 3yr old HP Pavilion ze5600 notebook and I was wondering if I could replace that doomed drive with this Hitachi Travelstar 7K100. I've seen a lot of good reviews for the drive. But, I've been told many times that you cant upgrade laptops or that other products besides what they come with don't work well in them, that's why I was wondering. Also, if there's something instead of that drive I should use, let me know. Thanks a lot for your time and assistance.

-Eddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

If I were you, I would be on the safe side and try to find the same hard drive (maybe upgrade) of the same brand for the same laptop. I would also contact HP and inqure about hard drive compatibility.(they made it and probably know more about hdd compatibility than i do.)
I would also suggest running the widows disk checking tool or at least try using your current hdd until its dead. Maybe theres just a glitch or something and it could be fine. (I hate wasting hardware)

But I work mainly on pc's. So I'm not totally sure.

Good luck.

#3 ekhardt

ekhardt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

I ran the disk check tool and it said it repaired an error. That was about three days ago and it's done nothing but get worse every since. I do plan on running it until it's good and dead and I'm in the process of doing just that. It's already making a clicking noise and locking-up quite a bit. But, I paid enough for the darn laptop (I should have gone with the desktop in the first place) and have no intention of letting my money go to waste. I'm always wary of contacting the manufacturer. On the few occassions I have (by phone and email) it's been about as pleasant as a root canal. That's why I prefer forums. Thanks for the help.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

Want some good advice?

Backup your hard drive. If it's making those sounds, then it's a good chance it's on it's last leg.

If you have means to transfer your data off of it, do it, and do it quickly.

[TIP] If you can keep the laptop running without shutting it down, that's your best bet. Because shutting it down again, may actually kill it and it won't even boot up the next time.

If you have to shut it down in the meantime, my advice again is to leave it off until you're ready to make your transition. But... pray that it'll boot back up when you try it again.

If you have a dvd drive, and you can afford it, go buy some blank dvd's, and start transferring your data onto those. It's better than a total loss.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

Yes, definently. Back up your memory. Then see what HP reccomends as a replacement or something.

If you don't want to contact them, try to find the same model hdd, or at least make sure the one you want to buy will fit and work ok.

Edited by nforce, 13 November 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

I've just recently started working on laptop hard drives and they're usually very similar. But to be sure, you'll have to get the specification of the drive that you're going to replace and compare it with those of the drive that you intend to buy.

You can probably order a replacement from HP - but they'll charge you more than if you bought it on your own. If you buy one, make sure that you can return it if it doesn't fit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

I've had some success in getting a couple of more years of life out of hard-drives with Spinrite. It is not free and cannot fix all hard-drives errors so it is up to you to decide if it is worth a try.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users