Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speeding Up Me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

My Uncle has SBC dial up. He is waiting for DSL to get to his area. I was on his computer and downloaded a program for him. I noticed his download speed was 1Kb. He asked me if it could be sped up. So, I am asking anybody on here, how can I help him speed up his computer? He is running windows ME on a Dell computer. If you need more info I can get it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

The only time I have ever seen download speed that slow is when I had "noise" on the phone line. Noise is caused by a "short" some where between the computer and the telephone office. It could be the phone equipment in the house, telephone lines in the house, or phone lines outside the home. Check with your phone company to help you diagnose the problem. Who is the internet provider?

Edited by buddy215, 12 November 2006 - 10:51 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

SBC,ATT,Yahoo

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

http://public.pacbell.net/cgi-bin/findpops.cgi
Dial-In Locations where there are Different 56K and 33.6 Kbps Dial-In Numbers
If you have a modem with 33.6 speeds or less, or if you have an x2 technology 56K modem, you must continue to dial into the current 33.6 Kbps dial-in number. The reason for this is that our 56K modem pools have been optimized for K56flex or v.90 modems only. Users who attempt to dial into our 56K modem pool and who do not have a K56flex or v.90 modem will not see speeds associated with 56K and may experience significant connection and performance difficulties. Go to the 56K FAQ for help on finding out what kind of modem you have.

If you have telephone jack outside your house inside the telephone junction box, you can plug a phone in there and listen for a low hum. If you hear noise at that point it is phone company's problem to fix. If you hear noise inside the home it is your problem.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

One word of caution when playing inside that junction box.... If the systems work like they do for our telco, there are 48 volts DC present on that line and it will give you a "wake up call" if you touch the bare contacts - even more of a pop if you touch them when someone calls.

Be safe...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

This may be an option. It is much cheaper and uses a standard cable modem.

http://www.mybluedish.com/index.htm
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Shinobi

Shinobi

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

also, look at wireless options in your area. I'm very happy with mine, but its not for everyone. its all about location...

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

I've run into dialup speeds that slow. The telephone company does not have to guarantee line speed - only that you can use voice connections. It's usually out in the country. In town (Idaho), the connections are quite a bit faster. And what Windows reports as the connection speed is not what the actual download speed is. On older machines, I use a program called Netstat Live! to see what the actual speed is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users