Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is An Alien!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evolbob

evolbob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

I recently have been infected with malware and adware. Avast antivirus made me aware of this. I've followed the advice given at this website within the "Do you have popups or other malware infecting your computer? If so, Start here!" link. I got to step 8, windows update. I cannot update my computer. I get a "0x800A0046" error. I'm about ready to just save my pictures and important files and just do a reload with the system restore disk that was included with my computer when I bought it. What should I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hello , there are several options for solutions in this MSFT article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

One other thing you may try is to run the Windows One Care Free Scan which may clear some problems in the registry. It's worth a try.

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Internet Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

If that does not work, take advantage of the fact that Microsoft's policy is to provide free support for problems involving critical updates.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

You can access Microsoft from the Windows and Microsoft Update pages as well. When the Update page opens click "Get Help And Support" on the left side of the page.

#4 evolbob

evolbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:46 PM

boopme,

Thanks for the response. I do not have "Local Users and Groups" listed in Computer Management.

Enthusiast,

Thanks also for your response. I tried to load the scanner but get a "We were unable to install the scanner." I checked to see if I am logged on as the administrator and I am.

A little history on this: I was creating a backup on my hd using the "Tech in a box" software that was loaded on my Systemax computer. The partition wasn't big enough to do the back-up so the program prompted me to resize the partition which I acknowledged. It errored out, then rebooted the system, but would never launch Win. I had to take it to the local repair shop and they were able to do whatever it was they do to make it work without me losing any data. Once I got the system back to the house I bought an external USB 160Gb Hd by Storage sync. While backing up my Hd, Avast anti-virus warned me that I had malware and adware on my Hd. That's when I found this site and started the procedures listed earlier. I contemplated sending the box back to my local guys but can't afford to shell out any more cash. I was hoping I could resolve this with the limited knowledge that I have and the wealth of knowledge that is available at this site.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

Your idea for a complete system restore isn't a bad one - but it is rather drastic.

Try the suggestions that others have posted. With malware, sometimes it won't allow you to visit anti-malware sites - so try other options.

Also, if you do save your pictures/data/etc and restore the system - remember that the stuff that you saved may be infected also.

And, when restoring your system, make sure to reinstall the Avast software, and then get yourself a good, free anti-spyware utility and a software firewall. Here's what I recommend:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users