Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr Ram Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dirtygreek

dirtygreek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

So my motherboard is an FIC AT31. It takes DDR memory. So far, all of my RAM is PC2100. I was under the impression, so correct me if I'm wrong, that if my machine takes DDR, it takes DDR. I ordered a 1GB stick of PC3200, though, and it isn't recognized. When it's in the machine with another chip, only the other chip is recognized. When it's in by itself, the machine doesn't even POST. Does this mean the new RAM is bad, or did I miss something?

UPDATE: Now that I've asked the question, I've found one place that seems to say the AT31 board only supports DDR200 or DDR266. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by dirtygreek, 12 November 2006 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Ok, memory can be pretty confusing. I looked up your mobo and a lot of reviews said that it could be pretty buggy. But I don't think this is the major problem. And yes, your board does only support ddr220 and ddr266 and I think the ddr400 might have been overdoing it. Im not sure that its considered even in the same league as the ram your board takes even though its classified as 184pin ddr.
just a thought: Since it is could be a buggy/older board, maybe it doesn't know what to do with that different ram. I am positive that ddr266,333,400 are all compatible, but im not sure about the ddr220,266...and then 400?!? Maybe its not compatible at all ;) )
Another thought is that maybe you accidently bought high-density ram. (Compatible with very few motherboards. You usually find it insanely cheap on ebay or something.) but probably not.

My reccommedation is to buy ram of the same speed.

Good luck.

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Ebuyer has some cheap deals on pc2100 ddr ram. Ive used a 512 and a 1024 stick and it worked fine. It sounds like your computer is an old one with it not recognising the higher speed ram like mine didnt. Its best to remove what you started with and get the details off of the side of it and match it when buying new ram. Ebuyer did a value ram stick of 512mb for 36 quid delivered or a gig stick of ram for 76 quid delivered. This sounds about right for your computer: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/38992

#4 dirtygreek

dirtygreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone. Feel free to close this or delete it if you like. I've ordered some pc2100 ddr266, but I'll have to eat the restocking fee on the first stick. Ah well, live and learn.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Yesterday I tried adding some RAM to a Dell - only to be told by the BIOS that I couldn't mix ECC and non-ECC RAM sticks!

Sure enough, the Dell had ECC memory in it! It pays to check this out first! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users