Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! User Profile Files In Temp Folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thekellysong

thekellysong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi there everyone.. something crazy happened with my computer about 2 hours ago. I tried to log into the main user profile (Kelly) I use, but upon logon Windows gave me an error stating that the profile was already being used? Which was definitely not the case since I had just restarted my computer. After this happened, I was able to log on but all of my settings, etc. were gone! I found that all of my files where in the "Documents and Settings\blank(i dont remember what the name of it was)" folder and that the the profile Kelly was running off of the "Documents and Settings\TEMP" folder.

After creating a new account and logging off of Kelly, I changed the name of the "blank" folder to TEMP, logged back onto Kelly and saw that everything was back to normal.

Now however, I'm scared to log off of Kelly for fear that the files in the TEMP folder will get deleted, because isn't that what windows does? Somehow I need to change where the Kelly profile is storing it's files, and then rename the TEMP folder to whatever it needs to be, but I can't do this without logging off the profile because then the files in the TEMP folder will delete and I can't have that happen.

Basically I have no idea what to do! Maybe if I could stop the TEMP files from automatically deleting upon log off? I would save the files in the TEMP folder, but because my music, etc. is stored there that would be saving over 30 GB somewhere and that would take forever.. So yeah, in between a rock and a hard place here haha.. Thanks in advance for any help & sorry if this doesn't make much sense - if you have questions I will clarify. I know that I probably did something wrong before by renaming the folder, etc. but I can't go back in time to fix that sooooo yeah

Also - I believe the Kelly profile originally stored it's files in the "Documents and Settings\KellyS" folder - but that folder is pretty empty and only has empty "My Documents" and "Application Data" folders. As you can see, this creates a problem because programs like iTunes have my music files directed to "Documents and Settings\KellyS\My Music" when now they're in "Documents and Settings\TEMP\My Music"

Update: (I know this is getting confusing - sorry) but I've figured out that all I have to do is get the profile Kelly to know to keep it's files in the "KellyS" folder, and then rename the TEMP folder to KellyS, if that makes ANY sense

(& sorry for having the obnoxious Subject line - I tried to change it after I posted but I can't)

Edited by thekellysong, 12 November 2006 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

Use Windows System Restore to reset your system state to an earlier date such as yesterday or any date before the problem began.

You access System Restore by clicking start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.

It will not affect your data but if you downloaded any update since the restore date you will have to do it again.

Let us know.

#3 thekellysong

thekellysong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

Ah alright, that did the trick! I can't believe I didn't think of the simplest thing to do haha.. thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users