Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keichin

Keichin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I recently started receiving the following error message on my Toshiba A45-S121,

"Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service."

I've found a couple of posts on the internet regarding the same issue. I'd like to figure out how to diagnose the validity of the claim. Any advice?

KE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Maybe one or more of you fans have failed - usually PCs will have a detction device that will notice one of them failing...?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Keichin

Keichin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

The fan is most certianly running. In fact, I've heard it run much faster in the past. It's a laptop, and I hear those are trick y to mess around inside.

If we rule out the fan, what else could it be?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

You might want to download Everest Home Edition and check to see what your temperatures are running. This program is free, and mirrors the specs in your BIOS, the beauty of this is that you don't have to access the BIOS to monitor the specs. Motherboards have thermistors that are located at the PCU, and when the temperature exceeds the set limit will usually shut down the computer keeping it from frying.

One consideration may be that it needs a little cleaning, due to the small space of the case house hold dust, lent, cat fur, etc. can cause an obstruction for the air flow. You could try blowing it out with some canned air.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Keichin

Keichin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Will do.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

Try blowing out the intake and exhaust ports on the laptop with compressed air. Past that, you'd have to go into the case to see if there's anything causing this. That's best left for a certified technician.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Keichin

Keichin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

EVEREST lists the temps as follows:

Motherboard: 42C or 108F
CPU: 40C or 104F

This doesn't seem hot. Is it?

edit: I haven't shot air through it yet. I will as soon as I get a little spyware incident taken care of.

Edited by Keichin, 16 November 2006 - 12:49 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Motherboard is pretty hot, but the CPU isn't - I'm not really familiar with laptop temps tho - but I would think that the mobo is a bit too hot for comfort!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users