Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bringing Internet To Remote Location

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi. I am involved with a group who is building a development in a rural area where there is no coaxial cable wired for miles. The only internet available is dial up, which is not an option. Direct tv plans to have satellite internet out there some day but that is way off. My question is this:
Is it possible to set up an internet capable wireless network for 5-10 houses that is secure? I know painfully little about this but I'm reading up on vpn's and servers and trying to understand it all. I would like to know what hardware and software to use to get a secure wireless network out there so that people have an alternative to dialup ready for them when they move in. Any experience setting up stuff like this is appreciated and really any feedback at all would be great. Thanks in advance. Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

you could setup a wirless network for the users but the only issue is what are you going to use to connect it to the net. If there is only modem then you would have to connect the Wireless network for the 10 pc's all through a modem connection. This would be very very slow.

The wireless connection side of things is not a problem it is the internet connection that will be. If there is no way of supplying a faster connection to the area then you are very much snookered.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

You can network the PC's wired or wirelessly (depending on the range of the wireless and the length of the wired cable) using routers, hubs or switches.

A router will be easiest to hook up to the internet when it comes out there (you can even hook them up to dialup with the router - it's just difficult to do). Once the internet gets there, you'd add a modem, connect it to the router and they'd be online.

This may be complicated by the number of users and the distances involved - but the concepts will be similar.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:28 AM

so basically I need to get a high speed provider involved? I was afraid of that and have researched what is availible: AOL dailup shudder or satellite internet, which is cost prohibitive and the company has a bad rating with the bbb and bad reviews on the internet (poor tech support, customer service, slower than dsl, very expensive, etc) Is there anyway to set up my own isp? I can hire more tech people if need be but I need to know what to ask them for first. I really appreciate the fast responses and sorry it took so long to follow up, very busy with this project and others.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

To setup your own ISP you'll have to find a way to connect to the internet. Once you've got that connection - then it's up to you to figure out how to deliver the service to the users.

So, since dialup and satellite is out of the question, you'll end up stringing miles of wire yourself (and the associated equipment to ensure that your signal isn't degraded) - or setting up a transmitter and receiver. But both of them are also very costly.

I don't know anything about this, but there is work being done on internet through power lines. It may be worth a look-see, even if it isn't possible at this time.

But, you can still network them all together for a reasonable cost. Then you'll be ready for the day when the ISP finally reaches out there.

Edited by usasma, 16 November 2006 - 09:50 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

cool, thanks for the tip. According to the cable companies website, there is no cable around for miles. I talked to someone 1/4 mile up the road from the area and they use cable internet, so I guess the cable company has not updated their site.

I have read a few books since originally posting and have learned a lot. The setup I am going to go with now is to have a very high speed cable connection hooked up to an authentication server that people will log into wirelessly for access. On the hardware end I am farely aware of what's involved, still weighing the pros and cons for 802.11b vs g.

For security on the server I have decided to use secure shell. I have been reading a lot about it and will use it with passwords turned off and require a private key 2048 characters long for authentication. I figure that will be harder to crack than a password. There is one option I'm not to sure about, port forwarding, specifically whether to turn it off or not. Let me know what you think of the secure shell idea and anything else I may be overlooking/not planning for.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Port forwarding is a great tool - but can be misused. Think hard before enabling it (you can always change it later on if you change your mind).

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

Ok so you have worked out how the network will be setup but you still have no means of connecting to the outside world.

This will be a big problem for you if they are not going to be running cabling to the area.
Posted Image

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

I know, that will kill the whole project. I talked to someone who lives a 1/4mile away and he said that he has cable so I didn't understand why the cable company's website doesn't recognize that zip code. But I was thinking, if I have a connection a 1/4 down the road, with clear line of site, I can probably get a 802.11g signal to the first house with a cantenna (antennae made out of aluminum, looks like a can) to get all the way there and then have more access points at each house all pointed at each other.

The only issue I have with this strategy is once the trees get big I might have to move the access points around or get more. But I'm still confident I can get this going.

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 November 2006 - 04:44 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

It might pay to visit the cable company. Talk to someone in the marketing department and stress the added income that this will mean to them - if only they'll run a measly 1/4 mile of cable down the road to where you want it.

Who knows, you might strike a chord with them and they'll do it!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:48 AM

Hi. I am involved with a group who is building a development in a rural area where there is no coaxial cable wired for miles. The only internet available is dial up, which is not an option. Direct tv plans to have satellite internet out there some day but that is way off.

Where are you exactly? I know several trucker (Family) that cross country and I have never heard of them complain about lack of service, except in the mountains or valleys.
There is another satellite company that allows up to 8 computers to be networked together. As a matter of fact they use a cable modem. Up front costs are $200 and basic rate of $50 for 512 Kbps\128 Kbps.

Satellite Internet

Cox cable was going to run about the same length of cable wire for my shop. It would have been $1100 to run 6 city blocks of coax. The cable\internet\VoIP would have only been $125\mo. We had BellSouth and they offered ADSL for $25\mo. All things being equal I don't see 2 difference between cable and ADSL. At least I am not refined enough to tell the difference. If you are starting a subdivison this may be your best option. The cable company mayrun it to you if all the houses sign up for the 3-in-1 package. I save $3\mo over POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users