Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hi Moderators,

I am relatively new to computers. I run Windows XP Professional SP2. My Maxtor Hard Drive total size is 19.0 GB.

I have recently noticed that despite the fact that I have tried to keep my free space at least at 11.0 the same has dropped to 6.23. I have backed up most of my files on c.d. and have deleted a great deal. However my free space reads only 8.23.

I make sure that I remove history, temporary internet files, cookies, and forms, almost every day. I also use Ccleaner. A look in add/remove programs revealed that since I started using my computer in 2004 May 24 I have received quite a lot of updates both for Xp and Office and I suspect that these may be the cause of the decrease in free space. Moreover sometime earlier this year I had to re-download SP2 in order that my web cam would work. I did not uninstall the former SP 2

I shall be grateful if you can advise me as to whether updates I had prior to re-downloading SP2 would have become obsolete and can be removed.

I have a lot of programs installed but they are all being used from time to time. I can uninstall a couple of them as I use them at intervals.

Thanking you in advance.

Bassy2. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Probably the only solution is get a larger harddrive. You are using approx 10 or GB of hard drive space. This is not very much for a modern useful XP machine. To give you some perspective, I have 20 GB of programs alone. And then 100GB of data. If you have 10GB of programs and data then you are not using very much space indeed.

A new hard drive could replace your existing drive, but then you would have to install Windows and all programs again, or you could simply add the new hard drive as a second drive, or slave drive. This is pretty easy to do and you would gain all of the space for data.

Prices on hard drives have been in a free fall for the past year or so:

40GB, $46 incl. shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822140118

80GB $47 incl. shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144102

160 $60 incl. shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145091
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

How did you install SP2 over itself?
I don't think Windows Updates will allow you to do that.
It is possible that SP2 never installed the first time.

First of all, you said that you are relatively new to computers. If that is the case I highly suggest that you do not use any third party programs that alter the registry or delete anything from it. Even CCleaner, which is considered to be one of the "safer" registry cleaners depends on your knowledge of what actually belongs or doesn't belong in the registry and use of these kinds of aps will eventually hose your op system because of a mistake you make.

Instead of any of the third party registry altering applications, I suggest you use only the following on-line scan from Microsoft:
Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and hard drive are.

If you buy a major brand retail hard drive it will most likely come with software that will allow you to transfer everything from your present hard drive to the new one thereby eliminating your need to reinstall Windows XP and redo all the updates since your Windows XP Installation cd (if you have one) or your manufacturer's restore cd was issued.
If you do not have one or the other, either the Windows XP Installation cd or the Manufacturer's Restore cd, I suggest you start trying to find or replace it now, before a problem may occur when you need it.

If you decide to get a viable hard drive I suggest a hard drive made by Seagate because it is the only one that comes with a five year warranty.

If for any reason the software cd does not come with your new hard drive, the tools to enable you to format the drive and transfer everything from one drive to the other are downloadable from most major hard drive manufacturers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users