Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Cant Be Found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyer

Zephyer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hello there good lads.

I have a bit of a problem with my DVD Drive, it just can't find it in "my computer".

I reinstalled windows XP Home edition service pack 2 recently, and untill now I haven't been in need of the DVD drive, so I haven't really noticed it before.

So... "My computer" looks like this now (Its in Danish)

Posted Image

I've already tried updating its driver and reactivating it but it didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

The easiest thing to do is to go into your Device Manager and see if it's listed there. If it is, simply delete it from the list... then hit Refresh, it should tell you that it found new hardware. If it doesn't do it.. then goto Control Panel>Add Hardware and either let it search for your dvd drive... or you can choose to select what you want to install. If you choose to select the device you want to install, you should have the drivers ready to be found.

If you select your hardware, you may be presented with a list of Manufacturers, select the one for your dvd drive. If you don't find it, you can select a generic driver for it, and if it installs it with the generic driver... update it to the actual drivers for it.

#3 Zephyer

Zephyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

That didn't work. I found the problem through microsoft.com though.

It seems that its a problem with the registry, so I have to change a few things in there.

If anyone else gets the problem, you can find the guide here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

After looking again, I found out that its the same guide you just gave me. Didnt work this time either.

Edited by Zephyer, 12 November 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Have you checked to see if the drive has come unplugged on the inside? Make sure all the connections are secure, and check to see if the jumpers are set correctly.

It might seem stupid but I have had that happen more than once before.

-nTOS
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 Kaemic

Kaemic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:06 AM

It's a laptop, I think that most people wouldn't even give it a try since the warranty is voided if you open it.

Btw: Wrong section, this is winXP home :S (Sorry Zephyer, my fault..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users