Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 1337 Lineup...is It Enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

Hey all,
I think that i've finished my protection lineup but i'd like to see if im safe enough and what else to use.

The Protectors:

AV:
NOD32
F-Secure Online Scanner(works pretty good..just saved on HTML file)

Anti Spyware:
Ewido(AVG 7.5)
SUPER Anti Spyware
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
A2 Hijack Free
Windows Defender
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Firewall:
Windows Firewall(default)

Do you think thats enough for protection? If ot what else would be good to add on besides firewalls because they mess up my internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

Actually having more than 1 antivirus can affect the other. I'm not talking about those that you have to like tell it when to scan but I mean like those like AVG that start on startup (Which is optional) but when more than 1 of them are running it messes with the other one. This is the same with firewalls.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

The AVG is AVG7.5 Anti Spyware not AV=D. and the F-Secure isnt a startup file i just scan with it on the net because it has great detection rate.
Thanks for the response,
Nick

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

Actually, if it were me (and this is just my opinion), I would want to find out why I couldn't use any other firewall than Windows, and correct that, if possible.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

I would have to agree with rlprlp about using the Windows firewall. First, it only reviews incoming packets, not outgoing; this means that should you become infected, say, by a spambot, that it can "call home" with impunity, or infect other computers. Second, it does not provide logs or real user controls, so it cannot be manually configured. With the number of free, and fully featured software firewalls available, there does not seem to be a reason to continue to use the Windows version.
Only use, however ONE firewall, since like multiple anti-virus real time protection applications, they can conflict and cause dysfunctionality in both the operating system and in protecting your computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:32 AM

I can't really mess around because it IS my computer but my dad gives me the whole speech on "I bought this with my money so it's mine so you take care of it" and i got in HUGE trouble when i messed up with ZoneAlarm =P. I think it was just blocking off the port but i dont think ill try again XD and besides i got 3 new scanners yesterday (=P) i think im loaded with enough AV and AM to know if anything at alls in my computer PLUS NOD32 itself is like a firewall isnt it? Veiws the out going packets and IP's? Im not sure.

Thanks,
Nick

Edited by moomoo, 13 November 2006 - 07:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users