Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Problem For Scroll Mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

Hope in right place.

I have a USB Scroll Mouse (2 button, the wheel is a 3rd button).

It just suddenly stopped working. It works fine on my laptop.
I tried 2 other mouses but failed to work via USB. I'm stumped. Has been fine last 2 years 8 months.
After 6 hours as i was struggling to find my answers over the internet using keyboard functions.
I managed to get the USB mouse to work, no, not using USB, i used a USB converta to PS/2 (round plug with prings or pins) and it installed and is working, though i can't sort out the scrolling bit, it seems to jump upa nd down a bit funny but i'm able to use the mosue by moving and clicking normally.

Is there something wrong that the mouse won't work using USB???

I tried the mouse in all 4 USB slots i have and no go. Printer and scanner work in all 4 USB slots no probs.

If there is any answere outhere i want to know if there is a fix for this.

If no go here, i'll contact the Acer manufacturer even though they're hopeless. Its an Acer Scroll mouse and Acer machine.

Izzy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

Since the mouse works with the PS2 adaptor - it's probably good. I'd suspect your mouse drivers. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers that came with the mouse.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:37 PM

i was going to try that but i didn't know where to go to uninstall the drivers for the mouse. Also i don't know where to get the drivers for it to install since its a manufactured PC and only has restor CDs. Disc 1, Disc 2 and Disc 3. And i put them all in but you just get an image file on the disc since they're for that ghost thing they use.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

You need to go to the manufacturers website (of your mouse) and download the latest drivers from there.
To uninstall the existing drivers (or software):
For mouse software (for example Logitech use 'SetPoint'), go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Progams and find it in the list.
For mouse drivers go to Windows Explorer, right-click on My Computer and select properties; go to the Hardware tab and click on the 'Device Manager'. That should provide you a list of all the devices on your PC. Go down to 'Mice and other pointing devices' and you mouse should be listed under there - right click on it and select uninstall.

To reinstall the mouse:
Windows XP should actually automatically detect it. Plug it into the USB port and see what happens - if it chimes and then comes up with the dialogue box saying that new hardware is found, you may be able to install it automatically. If not, use the driver you downloaded from the web.

If that doesn't work:
If neither methods work, it may actually be your MoBo's USB drivers. If this is the case you might have a problem, as Brandname PC's (ie. HP, Compaq, Dell, etc) are very specific. You might be able to go to the PC manufacturers website and go to Help & Support.... let me know if that is the case...

Hope that helped!!??! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

thank you very much i'll give it a try i'll let you know what happens.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hi,
Sorry no go with your advice. So i've gone to Acer Techical Support. The PC was purchsed new March 2004 so it's nearly 3 years old, its probably time for a new PC anyway. But i'll see what they can do.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:32 AM

i got reply from acer, and if you tell me its stupid.

Hi,

Use your system restore CDs and restore your system to factory shipped state. If you do not know to use the restor CDs, contact acer technicle support on 1300 etc.

not much of an answere. i don' particulary want to do that because it takes to long installing everything plus all the updates because my XP Home is only SP1, i only have SP2 on another CD, but there are still many updates after that. Plus McAfee, there's heaps of updates for that too. There has to be another way round it. otherwise i'm better off leaving it converted to PS2. until i get a new pc in march.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

-Go to the Acer website and locate the drivers for your model of computer.
- Download them to your Desktop
- Go into Device manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) and "Uninstall" your mouse.
- Reboot (Windows will provide basic drivers until you install the new one's)
- When the Add New Hardware Wizard pops up - cancel out of it.
- Then double click on the new mouse drivers and follow the prompts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

I did that, but the file is one file and that's drivers for everything not separate. I'll just wait til march when i get a new PC, easier i think. I'll just put up with a sick operating scroll for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users