Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Application Compatability Toolkit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vedunga

Vedunga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

Hi.
I want to play Dungeon Keeper 2 on Windows XP.
I got it installed, but after a while it kept getting errors, so i got this guide how to do it. It tells me to:

HOW TO RUN DUNGEON KEEPER 2

ON XP

1. Full install Dungeon Keeper 2.

2. Apply patch 1.7.

(if you during installation get an error message saying "Can't run 16-bit Windows Program. Cannot find file..."
then go to Start - Run... and type regedit. Make sure the following key is disabled (set to 0):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0)

3. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

4. Run the program and create a new database.

5. Click Fix.

6. Name of the program to be fixed: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Name of the vendor for this program: Bullfrog Productions.

7. Program file location: Browse for the location of Dkii.exe in gamedir.

8. Operating System Modes: None - Click Next.

9. Compatibility Fixes: select EmulateSlowCPU - Click Next.

10. Click Finish.

11. Choose File and Install and then exit the program.

12. Create a shortcut for Dkii.exe, choose properties and add -32biteverything in the Target commandline
(it should look something like this: "C:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe" -32biteverything).

13. Run the shortcut to start the game.

NOW i got the Microsoft Application Compatability Toolkit 4.1 but i dont know how to make a database, nor can i fix my problem with this simple guide.
please help.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Below comes from GameSpot

If you have previously updated your version of Dungeon Keeper 2 you will need to uninstall and start from a fresh install to use this update.

Have you updated prior to using the patch?

#3 Vedunga

Vedunga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:20 AM

No, i just installed it and played, came with patch 1.7.
Posted Image

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:28 AM

Have you tried posting on the game owners site or a game forum?

I'm sure they'll have the answers before anyone else can even begin to look for them.

If it was me, I'd go where the gamers are at and post there. As a matter of fact, the answer may already be posted on those sites.

#5 Vedunga

Vedunga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:35 PM

Indeed i have looked, but to me it seems that bullfrog productions no longer exists. Thus no forum, Thus no help from there. But i shall check a game forum as soon as possible, are there any good ones you have in mind?
Posted Image

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

GameSpot seems pretty cool. I do know of others, but those bookmarks on one of my dvd's, which I'm setting up a computer totally dedicated to just games. 120G hd. nothing more, and nothing less.

Try a search for that game name plus add the word forum to the search. that might bring some results.

In a week or lees, I'll be game ready :thumbsup:

BTW,, the reviews of that game is great... I think I'll have to try it out.

#7 Vedunga

Vedunga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Dungeon Keeper 2 reviews, yeah it is a grat game, not many players though :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

The only problem I don't like about playing online is that I found that people set up their servers and configs and all of that to cheat.

I have Delta Force 2, which I took a chance to play online.. trying to be a team member, and come to find out, the server where it was on, they had to be cheating within the core of the program.

How do I know? Because I would go in far off places wayyyyyyyy off the map, and somehow, I'd still get knocked off. I knew that there was no humanly possible way anyone could even find me, but I was found every single time. I even did these test just to porve to myself that online gaming is rigged,,, so right now, I have no interest of playing any game online with others, because I know they'll cheat (the game hosts).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users