Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Fails To Connect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 J-Dude

J-Dude

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:22 AM

I'm new here, but I was hoping someone could help me analyze and fix a problem concerning my parent's computer, which has since a few days ago, refused whatsoever to connect to the Internet, save for small bursts which last in infinitesimal windows of time.

The computer's specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2.8 ghtz
RAM: 512 MB

For the last year, we have used SBC Yahoo DSL for our Internet, which uses an external modem connected to the phoneline (with filters of course) which then connects to the computer using an ethernet cable.

I have ascertained that the problem is not with the modem, because both of our computer's take turns using it for Internet, and my computer accesses the internet without consequence (explains how I'm writing this to you ^_^). So, knowing this, I have tried all I can think of to fix the problem. SBC Yahoo comes with a tool called the SBC Self-Suport tool, which cannot resolve the issue at all. I've attempted to repair the connection, but this always fails, usually informing me that it cannot renew my IP.

I have tried disabling my firewall to no effect, have tried using Internet Explorer, still to no effect, and I've tried uninstalling SBC Yahoo and re-installing, but this fails due to the fact that I can't connect to finish the install. To m knowledge, no new programs have been installed. The only thing I ca imagine is that the ethernet itself is damaged, something I've never before heard of hapenning.

Can anyone help me?

(PS: My antivirus and firewall is Norton Internet Security)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:52 AM

Start by clearing the Rcache. Go to the following.

Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 J-Dude

J-Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:07 AM

Okay, I've flushed it like you instructed. The computer is still behaving the same way. It seems to realize there is a connection, but simply cannot stabalize it for use, or so is my own speculation.

#4 J-Dude

J-Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

In another forum, I'm being advised to try buying an NIC card to test whether or not it's my Ethernet or not, because my Ethernet is part of the Motherboard. I can always return the card if need be. Should I?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Open your Device Manager (click start/settings/control panel/system/
click the "Hardware" tab and then click the "Device Manager" button.

Look and see if there is a yellow or red warning icon in Network Adapter

Open the Network Adapter tree

Click on the Network Adapter

Does the dialog box say it is working properly?

You can use the troubleshooter if it is not, or use the computer that can get online to download an updated driver for it. (it will tell you what it is - probably something like Realtec....ethernet nic.)

#6 J-Dude

J-Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

It says the device is working properly, and I've tried the troubleshooter tactics to no avail. I've even tried reinstalling the drivers, but this has not improved the situation.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

Since this problem has only been happening for only a few days, the easiest and best way to address it is to use Windows System Restore to return your computer to a previous system state that did work.

Click start/programs/accessories/systen tools/system restore.

Choose a date that is in bold from before the problem began to occur and follow directions on screen.

Was any program uninstalled or installed just before the problem began?
Many times uninstalling a program will affect connectivity.

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 November 2006 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users