Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Age Of Empires 3 Lan Multiplayer "bumpy"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

I got me a crossover cable(cat5e 350mhz) and was using it to play AOE3 on two computers.
Its a 14 foot cable. I play the game on my laptop and my desktop.

My laptop and desktop both have a AMD 3200 64 cpu and over 512mb ram on the laptop(512mb on desktop ddr 400)

Well it seems the game is bumpy. The men and player bump like across the screens.

Both computers do this.

Its like 1 second behind or more.

Now this cat5e should be fast enough to handle multiplayer with just two players.

What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:42 PM

Does this happen with other games, CGM, or just AOE?, and does it happen right away or after playing for a bit?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

Well as soon as the games load. I have not tried it with other games because at the moment I dont have any other games that are multiplayer accept the oldest AOE version but I dont want to reinstall it.

The game plays fine in single player.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

What do you mean exactly by one second behind? Do you mean like if you want a soldier to move and you right click for him to move, there is a one second delay between when you make the command and he actually does it?

For that at least, I believe is normal. AOE2 does that when playing online through the MSN zone servers or connecting it with a lan. I'm going to guess that it's the same thing with AOE3.

As for it being choppy? I'm not sure.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

Well there is a delay but much more than single player.

Like you tell them to move..

They take a step and sorta freeze for a second and then move, freeze, move and so on.

Could it be settings?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

You can always try to reduce the graphics and choose, if that option is available, "best performance." Also try reducing the screen size and resolution on both computers. You should be able to network play with just one other computer without any noticeable lag, unless you have 50,000 men scurrying about chopping lumber, mining, or fighting.
Regards,
John

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

I have it set on 1280x1024 or 768? on both computers as thats what I use on them all the time. I will try this.
My laptop is able to power it. Its got the ATI 200m(PCI express I read) and is fine for it. My desktop has a good card to so its not that.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

I would reduce the screen size to its lowest see if this helps; if so then gradually work upwards until you begin to lag a log. It is important, I think, to be sure the size is the same for both PCs.
Cheers,
John

#9 pcgamefreak

pcgamefreak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Yeah sometimes lowering the resolution of the monitor will help. Especially for games that are 10 GB and take up mass amounts of space on the harddrive causing lag on the LAN or more depending on the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users