Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Notagain

Notagain

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hey all, I am having issues with exploring certain folders with PSD & jpg. files inside them.

It begain when attempting to attach an image to an email, and I would get to the correct folder, Id open it, and it would crash my outlook.

To get around this, I was able to add the folder to ISO BUSTER, and retrieve and open the files (but couldnt attach it.

I tested the problem by creating a new file, and I had resaved the files into a new folder. I saved a few images after working with them in Adobe Photoshop 7.0,and low and behold, it did it again. There fore crossing out text docs and applications as the cause.

===============
Win Explorer Crash message
-------------------------
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0003215b

-------------------------------------------

This is odd but I am not sure why this would be happening. Im not sure where to begin so

so far, I have run lavasoft adaware and caught a few minor trackers, but I would like some feedback incase the solution is easier than running all of my other adware/virus/cleaning programs.

If anyone happens to know why this would be happening, thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Notagain, 11 November 2006 - 10:18 PM.

Posted Image
Zone Alarm, Lavasoft Adaware, PC BugDoctor, Spyware Blaster, FreeRam MX Pro, CleanUp!, CCleaner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

I would think that a recently installed program has caused explorer.exe to crash. It could also be a recent change to a program that has caused this. It is also possible (but much less likely) that this is a problem with the Windows installation.

A way to fix this is to uninstall and then reinstall each program involved in generating the crash. I'd start with the Photoshop, then the Outlook for starters.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Notagain

Notagain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

I reinstalled photoshop and I dont seem to have the problems anymore.

Thanks for help.

Im sure I will see you AGAIN, before too long. unfortunately.

db
Posted Image
Zone Alarm, Lavasoft Adaware, PC BugDoctor, Spyware Blaster, FreeRam MX Pro, CleanUp!, CCleaner

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

I'm glad that you've fixed the problem. There's actually several "levels" of a reinstallation that may help to fix problems. They are:

1) Just plain reinstall it over the old version. This works quite often, but isn't a really reliable fix most of the time.

2) Uninstall and then install it fresh. This will remove most problematic installations and allow you to install a good copy of the program.

3) Use an uninstall tool specially made by the manufacturer of the driver (not widely available).

4) Registry and hard drive "diving" - this requires that you go in and manually remove the stuff that relates to this program. Pretty complicated, but often the only way to remove all traces of a program.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users