Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large Processes Slowing Down?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forged

forged

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hey guys... I just reformated my laptop with windows XP Professional, and I'm having some problems...

All LARGE processes slow down as time goes on... runescape, C&C Generals, the sims 2, roller coaster tycoon 3, they ALL slow down to a crawl as time goes by.

This happens as what I like to call it "Frames per second", my FPS goes to maybe 3, then bounces back to full speed. The increments of time in which this happens slowly shrinks.

Example: The game or large process will run fine for maybe 3 minutes, then you will get a "lag spike" of 3 FPS between 2-5 seconds. Then it will bounce back, 2 minutes will go by and it will happen again, 1 minute will go by, then 30 seconds, then 10 seconds. Until its about every 5 seconds, that is when I become frustrated and close the program.

I have a very decent system, that has recommended specs for all these games:
2.8ghz intel pentium 4
512 DDR-SDRAM (two 256 sticks)
64 Graphics card (Which I dont think is causing the problem, worked fine before the reformat)

The model is an Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop

Please help, Ive tried everything... spyware doctor, PC-Cillin, disk defragging, my registry is fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:50 AM

Did you install the motherboard/chipset drivers and all the other drivers for the system after reinstalling XP?

A quick check in Device Manager should let you know. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. If you see red x's and/or yellow !'s - you'll need to install the drivers to get the performance back up.

The reason for this is that Windows uses it's default drivers when it first installs. And while they work, they don't work well for more advanced features (because the Windows drivers are more interested in compatibility than they are with performance).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

I would also, in addition to Usasma's good advice about drivers, check to see what applications may be running in the background that could be using computer resources needed by the games. Unless you are playing on-line, be sure to kill your firewall and AV, etc.
Also be sure you have installed any patches for the games themselves.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 forged

forged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

I have the chipset driver and all drivers uptodate. So that isnt an issue, and ive tried disabling my real-time virus protector, firewalls, ect...

any other ideas? :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

I'd have to suggest these free utilities to monitor the processes for the exact source of the problem:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users