Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Killer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hello Hello,

I'll keep this short. A few days ago i attempted to upgrade my system. I was replacing my Celeron 340 2.93Ghz and MSI PM8M-V Socket 478 Motherboard with a Pentium D 820 2.80Ghz and BIOSTAR P4M800-M7 Motherboard, basically just keeping the same memory, a 512mb stick, same harddrive 120gb and same AGP card, eVGA GeForce FX5500. I got this all transitioned around just to find out BIOSTAR board i was planning to use was DOA. So beings im to impatient to wait for the replacement to come i just put my old system back together. All goes well until i launch windows to find this error on boot "lsass.exe - System error" then my comp shuts off automatically. I reboot a few times and run into the same problem everytime. So i attempt to reinstall windows thinking its mabye a virus. Now XP wont let me reinstall, pc just shuts down when the install gets to the part where it says "Setup is Starting Windows" also made it as far as "Loading keyboard layout file KBUS.DLL". So far to solve this problem I have stripped the comp down with no agp card, changed install cds and replaced the harddrive with a previous harddrive i had windows installed on for this machine, I get the same errors, system reboots when i attempt to load, and xp wont let me install. I also replaced my memory from another machine thinking that was infected since ive gotten the same message with two different drives that were used at different times. That didn't work, same reboot problems occured. I have also upgraded the bios and reset the cmos. Ive pretty much done all I can think of. If you have any insight on this, please share cause im out of options for sure.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum, and added topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 November 2006 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

Have you tried a repair installation of XP? http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

How about trying a parallel installtion (to a different Windows directory)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 theguy

theguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Selecting R would just reboot the system automatically. Pretty much not allowing me to even view the windows installations installed. Letting the installation run without actually selecting anything would just cause it to reboot after "Setup is Starting Windows" appears at the bottom of the install screen, or in some cases "Loading keyboard layout file KBUS.DLL".

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

Sounds like there may be a hardware problem there. Here's a suggested hardware troubleshooting procedure, but you'll have to modify it a bit because you may have to repair XP also.

Instructions

• Test your memory with this free utility: MemTest86 Let it run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better).
    This will ensure that your memory is error free and isn't the source of the problem.

• If Windows is still running, run this free, online test: Windows Live Scanner
    This will ensure that you're malware free, will clean your registry, will delete your Temp files, and will defragment your hard drive.

• Then check the SMART status of your hard drive using this free utility: SpeedFan
    This will ensure that your hard drive isn't the source of the problem (due to an impending failure). If Windows isn't running, you'll still need it - so download it anyway.

• Unplug the system from the wall, and ensure that you remain grounded to the metal chassis throughout the procedure. Then, remove everything from the system leaving only these components:

Case (and remove it if you've got a non-conductive mat you can use for testing (and no kids or cats to get into it).
    PSU (Power Supply Unit)
    CPU, cooler and fan
    1 stick of RAM (presumed to be good since you ran the MemTest86 utility in Step 1)
    Video card
    monitor
    keyboard
    floppy drive OR CD drive (not both)

• On the very first boot, disable any onboard devices (like the USB ports) in the system BIOS.

• At some point (if this is a hardware failure) you'll find the error is caused by a particular piece of hardware. While this is most likely the cause of your problems - please remember that it can be a combination of things that have caused this. As such, a single device replacement won't necessarily fix the problem.

So, on to the troubleshooting! Just follow these steps until you get the error. Then do it again to double check. Then replace the device that caused it and all should be well with the system (see caveats above).

- Try and boot from a DOS floppy.
    - If it works, then add the mouse and try again.
    - If that works, then add the hard drive and try again.
    - If that works, then start trying to get Windows to load.

Once Windows is up, use this free utility to check the SMART status of your hard drive: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Generally, this sequence should at least allow your system to boot up. If not, post what you've done on the forums and someone will be able to help you isolate the problem.

Once that's done, start by enabling the onboard devices (one at a time). Check for the error and then enable the next one.

After all the onboard devices are done, then start with the devices that plug into the mobo inside of the case. Do these one at a time also.

Then start plugging in the external devices, one by one, until they're all in.

• So, you've found the bad device and have replaced it. Either this makes the problem go away or it doesn't. If it fixed it, great! If not, let's start the troubleshooting all over and try it again. Since the case is stripped, the easiest thing is to run through this hardware troubleshooter again.

Edited by usasma, 14 November 2006 - 09:08 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 theguy

theguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

I just accepted defeat on this one, for right now. Motherboard seems to be the cause. It's something to look at when i have free time.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

FWIW - the most likely failures that I've seen (when at Step 4) are the video card - but that's closely followed by a tie between the PSU and the motherboard.

#7 theguy

theguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:34 AM

Pc was naked on my last attempts to install. So no, the video card cant take blame for this. Will see how a linux install goes on this machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users