Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Specify A Default Directory To Upload From

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 perrymc

perrymc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

Weekly I upload two bowling stat sheets (GIF format) to bowl.com. It is the only time I perform uploads. Each time I select 'update' then the 'browse' button on their site to specify the files to be uploaded, my system (XP Pro) defaults to a directory that has multiple GIF and JPEG files (I download to this directory regularly) but it is not the directory where my bowling files are stored. I would like my system to remember this location so I don't have to back out of the other directory when the 'choose file' screen displays for the upload (I use IE 6.0). Will this require a registry change or can it be done some other way? I have made registry changes on a limited basis and only with detailed instructions.

Searching XP help and IE help has not worked for me. So, Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thanks to all :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Everytime you upload from your computer to the Internet, you'll have to find the folder in which your files are located. There is no fix for it, and it's not actually a problem, just a hassle to have to navigate to that folder on your hard drive every single time. I know what you mean.

There is no way to make your upload to a web site always default to where your files are on your hard drive when you click on the Browse/Upload button from any web site.

Then again.. the only way it would work for you, you would have to leave that web site open at all times, so that way when you upload, it'll automatically reopen that same folder. But we all know, that won't happen.

Every computer user has the same issue, and I'm not sure there is anything to do about it. As a matter of fact, many programs that you use while offline will automatically save to their default locations, even if you specifiy a different after you close it and then open it again.

#3 perrymc

perrymc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:29 AM

Walkman,

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards your response as the probable outcome ... but it still raises the question for me ... so why does it consistently default to a directory that I created some time ago?

Perrymc :thumbsup:

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Not sure, but it sounds like a technological breakthrough as far as I'm concerned. But I just can't see how a web site button can be trained to know which directory on a persons hard drive to open by default, except:

In your own login area, the browse button will remember which folder you've 1st used.

Now, that very well could be the case. Maybe there is a way, but I've never seen such.

If I were you, I'd at least ask them on the site you're a member of. They may have a solution for that. It may be something they've added to make uploading easier for each member, but you happen to be one that found a glitch. But I can tell you this... it would be nice if remembering folders can be done. I use programs and web sites all the time, and they will normally default to the desktop, if coming from the Internet.

I do feel you on this one. I'm going to log into my control panel of one of my sites, and I'm going to download one of my databases, and I'm going to see where it'll default to.

[UPDATE] It just defaults to the desktop.

I'm thinking that if you clear out your cache, and your cookies, it'll probably not default back to the folder you created once before. As a matter of fact, try it. Just clear out your browser memory and try to repeat what you did, but this time, point it to the folder you want it to go to, then go back to that page and see if it'll open up that same folder. It's worth a shot.

#5 Garcher

Garcher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

what I would try is go into your registry and do a find for the directory that it defaults to. If that directory comes up and you are sure that that is the entry you are looking for, back up your registry and try changing that entry, maybe that will work. I know that I have gone into the registry and change my default drive for the install drive. I changed it from C to D. I'm not sure if that will do the trick but it might be worth a try for you.

#6 perrymc

perrymc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

thanks for all the input everyone. I am sure it is a local setting that controls where to look. I have discovered that the last location I download to is where it will default to. Since I always download to just one directory then it is the first place the upload looks in. I tried a variety of download locations and each time I went to upload it looked at the very last download location I used. I'm not quite ready to go squirreling around in the registry (even with it backed up!) but maybe ... will give it some more thought before doing anything else. Really is a small matter but sure would like more control over my system ... Having Fun Today!! :thumbsup: Take care everyone.

#7 perrymc

perrymc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention my cache, cookies etc are all cleared every time I leave Explorer.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

Out of curiosity I did a search on download.com for "upload manager".

See if anything in the results may do what you need:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?t...er&tag=srch

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

I've been thinking about this, and I've come up with a way that'll make it possible for sure, but it'll have to be on the server-side and not the client-side.

In the upload area, you have
a. Text box
b. Browse button
c. Upload button
....all of which is the property of a form.

When a person selects the Browse button (or manually insert their location), the Upload button can collect the data from the Text box, and store it in a datafile, which is then passed to the Browse button, when the Browse button is selected again. Then when a person goes to that page again, and clicks on the Browse button, it'll load the data from the datafile into the Text box of the form.

I could easily construct a form to do that. But like I said, in order for it to work, it'll have to be on the server-side. I'd still like to see it done through the normal traditional tweaking. But I doubt it. I've been wanting to see this feature done on everything I use, that has to go back to the same folders, and yet to this day, I haven't seen a bona-fide way to do so. But I guarantee you the way I explained it will work every time.

As a matter of fact, that should be a new method implemented into forms. A new HTML standard. I know it can be done, but it seems like it would have to be an industry standard that every form user employs in their forms.

Since those 3 (a, b, c) all go together, then it should be rewritten in the HTML standards to allow the code to be mandatory. If I uploaded from a certain folder, it'll always default to that same folder,, until I change the text in the text box.

I think I stumbled onto something. Maybe a breakthrough in HTML. Who knows? It may go well with the industry. I'll see what I can do. At least present my prototype and let them decide. Well, actually, I'll take polls throughout the Internet.

#10 perrymc

perrymc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

Enthusiast,

Didn't even think to go to download.com. I do use them occassionally. I went to your search and perused. I think the Yahoo option might be workable. Will take a look at them when I find time. Sure appreciate your idea.

Walkman,

Wow! Thanks for the description. I don't really know web design but I have an acquaintance who wants me to help them build a web site for a fledgling non-profit animal rescue organization (they already have their domain name etc) I am looking forward to dabbling in this area. I won't be coding HTML directly as the company they contracted with for the server has the web design tools available (don't know which ones at this point). Anyway, glad to re-peak your interest in this area. The only downside to putting this on the server side would be the storage requirements depending on the number of hits to that page. I would think a design that stores this data in a cookie on the client side would be more economical. Then again, they would never find it on my machine since I delete cookies with every exit!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Will be stopping here unless someone knows how to control the pointer to the directory from the client side. Take care and enjoy the day! :thumbsup:

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

This method wouldn't require cookies to be set, and it wouldn't matter if you deleted your cookies. It'll store the user name to the datafile, so that way, if you were to log in from a different computer and go to the upload area, it'll still default to your default folder, until you change the text in that area.

Since the data will be held in a database file, or even done with a .cgi script, it wouldn't take up much room at all. I have a few databases that has over 40,000 records in them and they load the pages normally after doing a search. This would only write into two fields for each user. Their user name, and their folder location.

I believe this would fly well once it gets the attention of the HTML group.

BTW,, the new Firefox 2.0 is cool. In this text area it'll underline the text that is either misspelled or not recognized, while you're typing. I like this. That there will reduce me having to discover later that I made a typo, and have to go and edit my posts. I hate when that happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users