Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a new computer but would appreciate input on which is the best processor for me.

I know Core 2 is the best but I donít do any gaming and wonder if I need one. I also can not get DSL for my Internet hook up because of where I live. Maybe some day it will be available here. I do spend a great deal of time probably too much) on the Internet.

I use my computer for word processing, spreadsheets, record keeping, digital photography, DVD watching, and maintaining my homepage. I currently own a Presario 6410NX with:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67 GHz
Frontside Bus Speed: 200/266 MHz
Processor Architecture: PGA462 Socket A
Chipset: Via KM266 8235
RAM: 512 MG of RAM.

I have a friend that has a Dell with a Pentium 4 and 512 MG of RAM. It really runs much faster than mine.

There are so many Pentiums out there I donít know which is best other than core 2. The same is true for AMD processors. Which is best and what do you think someone with my usage needs?

Happy Veteran's Day Vets.

Thanks,

adkron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

Core 2's not just for gaming. It's for everything. Gaming doesn't depend as much on the processor as it does on the video card. Core 2's your best option right now, if you're planning on upgrading. It's cheap, it's fast, it's reliable, and it's dual cores.

Also, Core 2 isn't a Pentium. Core 2 is Core 2. Pentium is Pentium. They're completely different. It's like comparing a Porsche to a dumptruck.

#3 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

Core 2 is cheap? :thumbsup:

-Ok, realizing that's not useful, mabye this will give you some insight on what your looking for.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Edited by theguy, 12 November 2006 - 02:21 AM.

#4 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:20 AM

Core 2 is cheap? :thumbsup:

What's so funny? It is cheap when comparing it to other processors of the same performance. The E6300 costs the same as a AMD X2 4200+, but it's faster.

#5 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:40 AM

It pretty much comes down to what adkron is planning to spend. If he is looking to go dual core and doesn't need the biggest and best thing on the market, i would go with the pentium d 820 since it is fairly inexpensive processor compared to its dual core brotherin and its a big upgrade from what he currently has.

Edited by theguy, 12 November 2006 - 02:44 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

Without broadband and without many demanding tasks for the computer to perform, I doubt that you'll realize a significant performance increase that you couldn't achieve for much less by using your existing system.

There's several different things that can be done to increase your computers performance. From what you've told us, the most obvious thing would be to increase your RAM to 1 gB. XP runs pretty well on 512 mB - but you've got to do a lot of maintenance to keep it there. With 1 gB the maintenance requirements will be less.

Another option is to upgrade your processor from the AMD 2000+. I'm not real good with AMD processors, so I'll leave this for another person. FWIW - the processor is a "PGA462 Socket A"

After that, we can trim your services and startups which will allow your system to run more smoothly and quickly. Then we can add some performance tweaks to speed it up even more. Each of the tweaks individually won't seem that significant, but after a while you'll be running just as fast as your friend with the Dell - and for much less money!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Everyone for your help,

Tomís processor list is great. I have asked Hp Support about upgrading my processor. They said I could not go to a, core 2, or a dual core processor (no matter who makes it) but didnít say what I could go to. I will e-mail them again with a question on what processor I can upgrade to (if any).

Sorry about the wording in the initial post in this thread. I know Core 2 is not a Pentium. I also know a Porsche is faster than a dumptruck but which one is more powereful or am I comparing, "apples to oranges again," or what?

adkron

Edited by adkron, 13 November 2006 - 01:23 AM.

#8 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

Yeah, you would need to change your motherboard and heatsink before you just flopped a new cpu in there. If your looking to get your hands dirty and do your own upgrade, i would check out newegg and tigerdirects motherboard&cpu combos or barebone kits. I would also call either or both companies to get their extra insight. They will suggest what boards will work with your current ram etc...

#9 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, you would need to change your motherboard and heatsink before you just flopped a new cpu in there. If your looking to get your hands dirty and do your own upgrade, i would check out newegg and tigerdirects motherboard&cpu combos or barebone kits. I would also call either or both companies to get their extra insight. They will suggest what boards will work with your current ram etc...

Hi,

It has been over ten years since I did a major upgrade. Iím beginning to wonder if it is worth it whaen the price of PCs has come down so much.

Thanks for your help,

adkron

#10 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

Without broadband and without many demanding tasks for the computer to perform, I doubt that you'll realize a significant performance increase that you couldn't achieve for much less by using your existing system.

There's several different things that can be done to increase your computers performance. From what you've told us, the most obvious thing would be to increase your RAM to 1 gB. XP runs pretty well on 512 mB - but you've got to do a lot of maintenance to keep it there. With 1 gB the maintenance requirements will be less.

Another option is to upgrade your processor from the AMD 2000+. I'm not real good with AMD processors, so I'll leave this for another person. FWIW - the processor is a "PGA462 Socket A"

After that, we can trim your services and startups which will allow your system to run more smoothly and quickly. Then we can add some performance tweaks to speed it up even more. Each of the tweaks individually won't seem that significant, but after a while you'll be running just as fast as your friend with the Dell - and for much less money!

Hi USASMA,

Thanks again for you help. You are correct my sockrt is a PGA462 Socket A. My Frontside Bus Speed is 200/266 MHz. I am not very familiar with overclocking and fear I could generate too much heat with the wrong upgrade and have to upgrade my fan. I donít mind doing so if it is possible. It has been a long time since I did processor upgrade, i.e. over ten years. Computers have dropped so much in price maybe a new computer is the way to go.
Thanks,

adkron:

Edited by adkron, 13 November 2006 - 07:14 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

It's my opinion that we're on the cusp of technological breakthroughs - and that the decision to upgrade right now is a difficult one.

64 bit computing is coming - but it's not easily used right now. DDR3 memory, new processors, video upgrades, the AGP bus dying, 32/48/64 bit logical addressing in hard drives is constantly changing, Windows Vista is almost here, etc, etc, etc.

So, in short, you could probably upgrade your AMD processor and get a bit more life out of it - or you could invest in something that will have a longer lifespan. The difficult part is telling how long that lifespan will be.

But, we're sort of at the stage where we have to make choices on which technology will dominate in the coming years (sort of like the BetaMax vs VHS decision that early video player adopters had to face).

FWIW - I'm choosing to build anew rather than upgrade. But that choice is influenced by my participation on these forums. Since I try to help folks out, I'll need to be exposed to the new technologies in order to provide worthwhile advice. I was going to delay my new build until after Vista had come out - but I can't afford to wait that long and still be able to provide meaningful advice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hi USASMA,

I agree with you. I would like to wait for Vista before buyin a new computer. In the meantime if I can upgrade my processor reasonably I will do so.

You are far more knowledge than I but I have always wanted to build my own computer. I am a bit of a "do it yourself" nut and that carries over into computers.

You are very helpful and I think it is very generous of you to offer you knowledge to others like me that are often being driven crazy by their computer. I hate to admit this but a few years ago I threw an aging laptop against a wall and shattered the screen. I know that's pretty crazy.

Thanks again for you help,

adkron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users