Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bulletin Board Software Similiar To Powerboard?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kandra

Kandra

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

Is there any other software out there similiar to Powerboard (which this site uses)?

I want to run a small chronic pain support forum for people in my area as there isn't any support. I would only need between 5-10 forum topics.

I really can't afford the price of Powerboard though, especially since this would be brand new for this area and would take time to get the word out there through doctors etc. that people would now have a place to go to for some much needed support. IOW, I wouldn't expect anyone to be donating to the cause for quite awhile if ever <g>.

I know I've seen other type of software "out there" that naturally isn't as nice as Powerboard...and if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it as there is a real need for this here.

Thank you!

Kandra

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:11 PM

There are quite a few forum packages. It depends a bit on your equipment. There is JForum, which is a free Java based forum that can be run from Tomcat. http://www.phpbb.com/ has a free version, and should run on Apache (I think). There is http://www.simplemachines.org/ and many others.

#3 Kandra

Kandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

There are quite a few forum packages. It depends a bit on your equipment. There is JForum, which is a free Java based forum that can be run from Tomcat. http://www.phpbb.com/ has a free version, and should run on Apache (I think). There is http://www.simplemachines.org/ and many others.
[/quote]

Thanks! I've been looking over phpbb and right now I'm looking over your suggestion of simplemachines. I have no experience with MySQL. Doesn't quite count that I took 4 semesters of Access <g>. I'll need to find a tutorial on MySQL.

Back in the "old" days <g>, I used to run a PCBoard BBS so I'm familiar altho never setup a Tomcat BBS style system.

I think I'm running a Windows based host (I'm using GoDaddy as a host for the domain) but if necessary I'm sure that can easily be changed. Well, I just checked and for once I was looking ahead when I setup that host and did get it Linux based. I also just looked in the phpbb info database and someone wrote up an article on how to install phpbb on a GoDaddy host. Pretty straightforward and I already have the correct system in place.

I really appreciate your response. There's nowhere (including any support groups) for those who have chronic conditions/pain here in NM and there is a real need for something as recently there has been a couple of suicides due to the above. Anyway again....thank you!

Kandra

Edited by Kandra, 11 November 2006 - 11:11 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

There should really be no reason to mess with the database at all. The bulleting board software will handle that. At a minimum, you may have to install the version of SQL, but that should be about it. But if you really want to interact with MySql, their onsite help is very good.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

You will probably just need to make the database and assign a username and password to it. The rest will be handled by the forum software installation routine.

Also you can look into if your isp will provide a forum for free. Many do as part of their packages.

Also I think community server is the only windows based native message board software (could be wrong and its pricey). Your host can either switch you to linux or they may support php and mysql on windows.

#6 Kandra

Kandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

<<You will probably just need to make the database and assign a username and password to it. The rest will be handled by the forum software installation routine.>>

<<Also you can look into if your isp will provide a forum for free. Many do as part of their packages.>>

Thanks! Actually, I'm on satellite so no traditional isp there.

<<Also I think community server is the only windows based native message board software (could be wrong and its pricey). Your host can either switch you to linux or they may support php and mysql on windows.>>

I decided to host the domain on Lunarpages which has a great reputation (after doing much research on my part) and it comes with the SMF software as part of their Fantastico scripts library thats included. GoDaddy doesn't have the uh, reputation one would want.

The domain I have on GoDaddy was on a Linux system after I looked it up. It had just been so long since I'd done anything with my domain(s) due to illness that I wasn't sure anymore. I know I could have transferred the domain from GoDaddy to Lunarpages (and Lunarpages would have done it for free) but I wanted a domain name easy to remember and also could be used for me. IOW, have a menu on the index page and when I do get the forum up and running putting a direct link to it "out there" in the community.

I tried Linux on my home system about 6 years ago...when I was still married. My husband was really into Linux. I hated it. All the compiling etc. and making ones own menus...argh! I'd been around with computers since 1987 and was used to running and writing DOS batch files and all that then but 12 or so years later I didn't want to have to do it all the time again, especially the compiling. Hey, he's from NY too...<g>!

Geez, you'd never know I used to do websites for authors would you? Its been well over a year since doing any HTML/CSS coding and I know things haven't stood still for me :thumbsup:

Now my only thing is what to do with the other 2 domain names I already have...one of which isn't hosted and one of which is at GoDaddy...lol! :flowers:

Thanks again!

Kandra

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

Can't you just do domain redirection. That is supported by most hosts. Just put in the url that you want you other domain name pointed to. Have a word with the provider and see if this is supported by them.
Posted Image

#8 Kandra

Kandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:19 AM

Can't you just do domain redirection. That is supported by most hosts. Just put in the url that you want you other domain name pointed to. Have a word with the provider and see if this is supported by them.

Hi!

Yes, I could do that or my account allows for one subdomain.
I haven't had a chance to do anything with the site other than to throw
up a hasty index page.

Thanks!

K. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users