Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Air Mile Donations To Help Soldiers ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

The below is a site called 'Operation Hero Miles' where one can donate your frequent flyer miles - and these miles are then used to fly soldiers home on leave from the warzones and to fly family members to visit injured troops in hospitals.

http://www.heromiles.org/donate.html

Whether we 'approve' of the war or not, it's the soldiers who always deserve support, if not the government - gentle smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Thats great, but doesn't the government cover travel?

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Mara for this wonderful info. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

Thats great, but doesn't the government cover travel?

Hi theguy, I had always thought so, as well, but there are exceptions, particularly regarding emergencies, etc - so I hope the below link helps clarify things.

http://www.fisherhouse.org/programs/heroMiles.shtml

I've lost the government approved link I had where one can see what the troops over there want the most (their wish lists - gentle smile). While they are surely supplied with all the necessities, there were polite reguests from individuals for things like 'unscented deoderant' and 'unscented soap and shampoos, etc'. - and many other varied things, as well. Sounded odd to me until I realized there must be lots of soldiers out there who have my extremely sensitive skin type and scented stuff actually creates hives. Imagine getting hives in blistering heat - eep!

Anyway, I'm glad you asked about the government normally covering travel, as I too often look at many of the 'plea' sites with a jaundiced eye - gentle smile.

Kind thoughts,
Mara

ps. I'm a Canadian and sadly I couldn't find a single similar site for our own troops fighting over there. Gentle sigh.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Mara for this wonderful info. :thumbsup:

You're so very welcome, Scarlett! :flowers:

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

I found it, the site where one can send a 'care package' to soldiers. "The program was started by Sgt. Brian Horn of LaPlata, Maryland, an Army Infantry Soldier with the 173rd Airborne Brigade while serving in the Kirkuk area of Iraq, to help care for his soldiers".

http://www.anysoldier.com/

I'm still hunting for a similar site re 'care packages' for Canadian soldiers over there - Christmas is coming and while sending cookies is definitely a 'no no' for me as my cooking/baking skills leave much to be desired - grin - maybe I can find something else a soldier requests and send the package on it's merry way. After all, Santa should come for soldiers, too! :thumbsup:

#7 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

Great, will past these links around. :thumbsup:

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

I won't comment on the donation of travel miles to help Service Members and their families travel other than to say - the USA Govt only provides some limited assistance for personal travel that may not fit within the time frame they may have to accomplish such travel, and the families may not have the funds at all.

The request for unscented personal hygiene products also has a tactical rational for some personnel, if you can't see them or smell them, then they aren't there.

As a former serving member - any donation, card, or letter means a lot to many of the troops. Please just follow the rules and regulations for such.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Re unscented stuff ... I'd actually never thought about that before, and yes, it truly does make sense. (How very odd that all the 'basics' supplied by the government to soldiers isn't unscented!). And most of all, thanks for letting us know that "any donation, card, or letter means a lot to many of the troops", KoanYorel.

With theguy helping to pass these link along and our Scarlett caring as well, perhaps we really can make a difference - thanks so much to both of you!

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Your welcome Mara. As you know I'm sure, I am an avid supporter of the Troops :thumbsup:
Any and all we can do to help out, is a God send to them.

And while we are on the subject..... :flowers:

* America Supports You

"America Supports You," a nationwide program launched by the Department of Defense, recognizes citizens' support for our military men and women and communicates that support to members of our Armed Forces at home and abroad.

* Fisher House

Supporting America's military in their time of need, we provide "a home away from home" that enables family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time -- during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury.

* Military Veteran and Family Assistance Foundation

The Military,Veteran and Family Assistance Foundation (MVFA) is a non-profit 501©3 organization that provides services and resources beyond the budgetary and mission capabilities of the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs and other National, State and Local veterans’ agencies.

* Project Valour-IT

Project Valour-IT, in memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss, provides voice-controlled laptop computers to wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines recovering from hand and arm injuries or amputations at home or in military hospitals. Operating laptops by speaking into a microphone, our wounded heroes are able to send and receive messages from friends and loved ones, surf the 'Net, and communicate with buddies still in the field without having to press a key or move a mouse. The experience of CPT Charles "Chuck" Ziegenfuss, a partner in the project who suffered severe hand wounds while serving in Iraq, illustrates how important this voice-controlled software can be to a wounded servicemember's recovery.

* Soldiers' Angels

The Soldiers' Angels was started by a self-described "ordinary mother" of an ordinary young man turned hero, Sgt. Brandon Varn. Brandon was deployed in Iraq and has since honorably completed his mission and has returned back to his proud and loving family.

In the summer of 2003, he wrote home expressing his concern that some soldiers did not receive any mail or support from home. Being a caring and loving mother, she decided not to allow a situation like that to continue. She contacted a few friends and extended family to ask if they would write to a soldier or two.

Within a few short months, The Soldiers'Angels went from a mother writing a few extra letters to an Internet Community with thousands of angels worldwide and growing stronger with the addition of new members daily. With more and more merchants donating services, money and items for packages, the Angels reorganized as a 501 c 3 non-profit so all donations would be tax deductible.

God Bless them one and all!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users