Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2.0 Upgrade Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gwb51

gwb51

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

I am having an odd problem with a newly installed Adaptec USB2 Connect 5100 PCI card. This is a 5 port, USB 2.0 adapter. I installed it in my Dell 8200/WinXP home desktop.

I installed the card and started the computer back up. XP recognized new hardware and installed it. I was never asked for a driver. The card works. I have plugged in my printer, camera, and external hard drive. They all work. So what's the problem?

I don't know what driver the card is using and when I attempt to 're-install' the driver on the product CD, I get an error message and the installation ends.

I followed the install instruction for reinstalling a driver. It directs me to System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager. According to the instructions I should be able to double click the Universal Serial Bus Controller and I should be able to reinstall a driver.

If I double click the Universal Serial Bus Conroller all I get is long list of USB connections. If I explore the individiual USB items they all indicate they are working properly, but with a 2001 MS driver. I'm a little apprehensive about just going through and deleting all the present drivers on the hope that will let me install the new one.

Any thoughts.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 November 2006 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrCB

MrCB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:21 PM

Similarily, I installed a new Adaptec PCI card and all my attempts to override
WindowsXP’s driver(s) failed using Control Panel’s Add Hardware to start the
Hardware Update Wizard. Instead go through the Device Manager and choose
“Update driver…”.

Start the Device Manager (e.g., From Start button choose Run…, type devmgmt.msc then click OK)
Expand the folder Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Look for an appropriate entry (e.g., “PCI to USB Host Controller”)
Highlight the entry (mine was “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller”)
Select “Update driver…” from right mouse click’s menu

This will start the Hardware Update Wizard
1. Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?
Select “No, not this time”…enter NEXT
2. What do you want the wizard to do?
Select “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)”…NEXT
3. Please choose your search and installation options.
Select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”…NEXT
4. Select “Have Disk…” and enter
5. Select drive letter for the location with the driver(s) to be installed
(if necessary use “Browse…” button)…NEXT
6. You should recognize the appropriate driver in the grayed out area; Highlight it…NEXT
7. Click “Continue Anyway” button when asked about “driver not passed Windows Logo testing”
8. FINISH

Now go back into Device Manager to the folder Universal Serial Bus Controllers and review all the entries.
(All of my entries had been updated with the appropriate Adaptec drivers.)

NOTE…In my case I also needed to start two services: Univeral Plug and Play Device Host and SSDP Discovery Service (e.g., From Start button choose Run…,type services.msc then click OK)

Hope this works for you!

#3 gwb51

gwb51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks that worked. The device list now shows the Adaptec USB device.

Now there is another issue. Not all of the equipment that works when connected to the old USB ports will work with the Adaptec card. Specifically, my WD external harddrive, iPod, and memory sticks work fine. My HP 7310 and Logitech camera do not recogize the Adaptec ports (but work fine when plugged into the original USB ports.)

I just got a reply from HP Support stating that 7310 is not compatible with the Adaptec card. That seemed a bit strange and I did ask if there was a fix. (No response yet.)

Any thoughts? This isn't really a major issue, it's just kind of a challenge now.

#4 MrCB

MrCB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

It is unfortunate that HP cannot help resolve the incompatibility.
Since all your devices worked using the Microsoft drivers my only thought would be to keep in mind that you
could always go to Device Manager's Driver tab for the Adaptec...Enhanced Host Controller and perform a
"Roll Back Driver".

#5 gwb51

gwb51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

Since I have half my equipment working on the Adaptec card I'll just leave the rest on the original USB ports. The HP Support did get back and the confirmed the position that there was an issue with the 7310 and Adaptec USB cards. The email indicated that they did not endorse connecting through PCI cards. That I didn't understand.

I still haven't made contact with Adaptec Support. I'd like to hear their position on this. In the mean time I'll keep poking around and see if anyone had a similar problem and found a way to resolve it.

But, again, thanks for the help.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

Windows updates support usb drivers so unless you had a problem with them working there was no need to change the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users